The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Red triangle probs

Stan

Right, last night I took the car out for a spin, and on the duel carriageway (of my private road :)), when I went just over about 90mph, the red triangle came on. Nothing sounded out of the ordinary, so I pulled over and switch the car off and on again, and it went out and stayed out for the rest of the journey (all under the limit this time)

On the way back, on the same bit of road, it came on again when I got to a similar speed, and again went off when I restarted the car, and was fine the rest of the way.

Now from searching it seems it could be brake fluid level, but it wasn't flickering like it does for that; or auto spoiler (which has been removed) but the light didn't extinguish again which apparently it should.

So, any ideas?

Sounds like it could be related to the front spoiler - has it just been removed physically or have you taken steps to make the car think it's still around?

I presume you have some kind of kph > mph conversion in place?

There is a 5 pin plug behind the bumper that usually goes to the spoiler mechanism motor, you might just need to short pins 3 and 4 together to fool the ECU into thinking the spoiler is always up.

Is the auto off button pressed on the dash?

Is the spoiler ECU still in place?

Edited by michael (see edit history)

It was removed by the previous owner when a stillen front was fitted, and yes there is a kmh > mph converter in place as well. I don't know about the ECU still being there but I would guess it is.

I know I did press the spoiler button a few times accidentally when I thought I was turning my slip control off the other night, so it could be that. I will press the button and take it out for a spin to see what happens, and look for the ECU as well. Thanks for all the help!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stan.

When the red triangle lights up, take a look at the spoiler switches. One has a light in it. If this is flashing when the master warning is ON (the red triangle) then that's where it's detecting the fault.

Press the Active Off button (I think - it's the one that locks down when you press it) and try the car again - this should solve the problem.

The red triangle is the master warning and when it goes off there is almost always a system specific light that will illuminate to let you know where the problem is that has caused the master to light up, so always a good idea to look around the dash for the second attention-getter.

You should have pm'd me first!

Edited by Soop Dogg (see edit history)

• 4 years later...

Just bought a '99 TT Jap import master warning triangle has come on don't know if the car has an active front spoiler or not how do I find this out / where's the switch?

Any other ideas as to why its come on and stayed on? Is the brake fluid a cause?

Does it need diagnostic equipment to find out?

Thanks in advance any advice appreciated a new to all this!

Just bought a '99 TT Jap import master warning triangle has come on don't know if the car has an active front spoiler or not how do I find this out / where's the switch?

Any other ideas as to why its come on and stayed on? Is the brake fluid a cause?

Does it need diagnostic equipment to find out?

Thanks in advance any advice appreciated a new to all this!

Could be brake fluid level.

If you have an active spoiler, the switch is below the stereo. If there is no switch, have a look under the front bumper. That's where the active spoiler will be.