The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Nürburgring: trip planning tips & general advice

SteveR

I'm currently down at the Ring just now, I drove from Scotland to Reimerath (2km from the track and where my B&B is) in 20 hours and that's including the ferry crossing from Dover to Dunkirk.

I was last her in October of last year and if there's one thing I've noticed, it's probably worthwhile coming when it's NOT a tourist day, as it's mega busy and you have varying abilities of driver on the track from guys going round in 12-15 minutes and then those hardened veterans pushing 7 minutes a lap. These two types of people don't mix well on the same track and then add the bikes in to the mix!

Also, whatever your budget, double it, and then take a credit card with you! This trip so far has cost me €1100 in repairs.

4 new tyres and 2 new brake disc after my front right disc decided it no longer wanted to be a one piece item and thought the best time to shear in to bits was as I was braking hard at 100mph in to a tight right hander... Needless to say I was not impressed! lol

Still, loads to do here other than the track itself, the museum is well worth a trip, the electric go karts are something else and then there's the hours of stood trackside at the many viewing points just in awe of some of the drivers ability to wrestle their cars around the track. I'll try and not hijack this any more. But one word of warning from me, you may think you're a good driver, but trust me, step out of line once on the Ring and it will bite you harder than you've ever known! It's not called the Green Hell for nothing! :-)