The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help removing alloy wheel corrosion

Duffman

my alloys have small patches of corrosion on the lip

know could get them refurbed but supposedly they cant keep the polished lip if i do this...anyone know of any other way I coud get rid of this?

got plenty of elbow grease but guessin i'll need some kind of corrosion remover (if there is such a thing)?

cheers

605.jpg

Sean, speak to wheel mania and get them to confirm the make up off the wheel and maybe drop Ibrar a line for his advice.

What do you mean by the make up Hoff?

I dropped him a line before but he said he would be unable to keep them 'polished' lip as the spokes protrude slightly. Not entirelt sure how they do it maybe they put it on some sort of lathe to polish it up? :blink:

If the pit marks are quite deep they will take an awful lot of work to get rid of by hand, the spokes protrude so i doubt a polisher could get right down the lip.

I think the only way would be to have them machined on a large lathe.

Ive had that done at my brothers engineering company but your looking at £50 + per wheel.

Then youd need to laquer them.

Do you think I could use some fine wet and dry to sand down the lip till the corrosion is away? Then maybe some kind of laquer to seal them?

Firstly i really doubt you will be able to get that corrosion out, i recently had this problem with some wheels i bought that originally had a polished lip but were corroded and all sorts, from what i found the best thing you can do is get them re-polished!

But dont laquer them, i got told that its better to keep the lip bare and autosol it (or any metal polish) weekly, otherwise salt and sh1t will get under the laquer and then theres nothing you can do about it!

Not much point doing it now though during winter, wait until the summer and get them polished then! The place i went to only charged 25pounds a wheel and did a very good job!

If the pit marks are quite deep they will take an awful lot of work to get rid of by hand, the spokes protrude so i doubt a polisher could get right down the lip.

I think the only way would be to have them machined on a large lathe.

Ive had that done at my brothers engineering company but your looking at £50 + per wheel.

Then youd need to laquer them.

I was thinking I could use the turn of the wheel when it's in gear to use it as a kind of lathe...did the same thing on my brake discs to remove the bits of corrosion.

Firstly i really doubt you will be able to get that corrosion out, i recently had this problem with some wheels i bought that originally had a polished lip but were corroded and all sorts, from what i found the best thing you can do is get them re-polished!

But dont laquer them, i got told that its better to keep the lip bare and autosol it (or any metal polish) weekly, otherwise salt and sh1t will get under the laquer and then theres nothing you can do about it!

Not much point doing it now though during winter, wait until the summer and get them polished then! The place i went to only charged 25pounds a wheel and did a very good job!

So I can defo get them repolished even with protruding spokes mate?

So I can defo get them repolished even with protruding spokes mate?

Im not saying 100% as the spokes on the alloys i got re-polished didnt stick out as much i have to admit, you will need to find a decent polisher, i had to ring about 10 before i found a decent one that was interested in doing it, but you might be lucky and find one?

If you can get them done it not only looks good, but it works out cheaper than other options such as chroming, Anodising, even painting! I would at least try just to find out? If they cant you aint really lost much, just a little time!

• 1 month later...
yeah I think it would work a treat if I had the correct abrasives/solvents etc and took my time

if you find anything that works or a company that is prepared to work on them could you drop me a PM? exact same thing is happening with our wheels, thing is the alloy is so soft you cant even wash them with a sponge, let alone sand them down with W+D :(

its not only in the dish but all over the spokes too, and there less than a year old :taped:

I was thinking I could use the turn of the wheel when it's in gear to use it as a kind of lathe...did the same thing on my brake discs to remove the bits of corrosion.

I personally wouldnt do that to be honest, you'll need to machine away quite a lot of material looking at the pit marks in your photo which can only be done on a lathe, possibly 0.25mm or 0.010 inch will need to come off, maybe more.

If there not laquered then the same will happen to them again over a period of time.

• 2 weeks later...

The trouble is that wheels that have a polished but lacquered lip, are usually of a poor quality alloy that will corrode quickly, i have in the past removed the lacquer for such wheels and kept them polished, but you need to do them frequently as said, but it can be done.

My current alloys are polished lip but came with no lacquer, and seem to go a bit longer between polishes, but still need frequent attention.