The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Track Car Project

Ryan.G

After a week of searching I finally have reinstated myself back into the supra club with a perfect track car base. I got the car through a forum member newbiematt who luckily I had met before and knew was related to a good friend Mr. Licence who had always looked after the car… Bonus.

So last night I asked Matt if he could bring the car over to Force India for Tony and I to give the engine a once over. We started by first compression checking the engine which was going brilliantly until we hit the dreaded cylinder 5…. The compression was very low at only 60psi. Matts face and mine dropped but we continued to investigate the problem for Matt by getting the leak down tester out and finding where the problem was. After setting the piston at TDC we were getting a leak of 80%!! Investigating where the leak was coming from it sounded like it was leaking out of the exhaust valves as the noise was coming from the TT setup. But was hard to tell. The good news is im 98% sure it’s not past the rings as there was no noise from the crank case areas. Plus there is no oil contamination in the combustion chamber, on the sparks or any blue smoke out of the exhaust at all.

At this point Matt was unsure what to do and with Christmas coming up it was not the best news he had had. I decided to offer Matt a price which I thought was still fair for the car and I could use the difference in money to either possibly replace the engine or fix it. We came to a value today and the car is going to start under going its transformation from tomorrow.

So what is planned… Well below is the spec at present and a couple of pics.

Greddy 3 row FMIC

GNew greddy profec e-01 boost controller running 1.2 bar

Warlbro Fuel Pump

Unknown jap s/s exhust with 5"

De-catted with restrictor ring

Enkei NT-02 Black 17" wheels (Have set of stock 16" rims too)

Bilstein Yellow shocks with stock springs

J-Spec Brakes with braided hoses and CW fast road pads + spare set of CW Race Pads

Blue LED dash conversion

New carbon fibre dash kit

Oil filter relocation kit (not sure of make)

Oil Cooler

Sard BOV

First things first is to gut the whole interior and everything I can remove with out the use of a plasma cutter . Then the car will be going over to AutoTec 2004 (gledo’s) for us to remove the head and fix the compression issue. While the head is off it will be going over to SRE for them to port match all the head with the new single turbo manifold and give it a special once over.

The next plan is then to fit the GT35 single kit and really go to town with weight reduction! When all the weight is removed and everything is tidied up it will then be time to make the custom loom, fit solaris, dash2 etc

For now that’s what Gledo and myself have planned but we have all winter so im sure specs and plans will change.

Tomorrow afternoon is the start of removing everything in the cabin.

Last thing I forget to mention was on the drive home today Tony and I decided to weigh the car at a local weigh bridge to see what I am starting with. As I like to keep things interesting I decided a bet was needed for who pays for lunch. I guessed it would weigh 1450kg and Tony thought more at 1500kg…. Unfortunatly I lost the bet as it came in at 1520kg full weight

Will update as and when

Ryan

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice to see your shedding the kilos Ryan, i think a lot of people dismiss this side of tuning as "unglamourous", i have pretty much got to the end of the line with mine with the recent replacement of the heavyweight superdragger for a featherweight Greddy Ti, and the only thing left in the car i could start removing weight from now is the driver :eyebrows:, i really must get the car weighed out of interest, looking foward to the updates

This should be a cracking car when it's done. What's the target weight Ryan?

1200kg would be nice but the important thing is i want to keep the weight distribution around the usual supra at 53/47%

This means putting the seats further back espically the passenger one as well the battery etc

With that weight target in mind are you going to fit a full cage? If you are it's going to be very tough to acheive it unless you go to town on the car and start tubing instead of using the stock rails and frame

Yup Cage will be done last but fear not when you have a good friend with a plasma cutter, top of the range Jig and T45 ;)

With that weight target in mind are you going to fit a full cage? If you are it's going to be very tough to acheive it unless you go to town on the car and start tubing instead of using the stock rails and frame

Could always use a 3STGE instead of the 2JZ? :)

To get down to that though, you'd have to have bare metal, no sound proofing, heater/ac out, etc, kudos for doing it.

Subscribed for updates, be interested to see how much weight you manage to shift, the lightest one on http://suprahardtopregistry.com is ~1325kg

I remember MONKEYmark going quite far with stripping his car down a few years ago but I'm not sure if he got so carried away that he couldn't drive it to be weighed :)

Might be of interest:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104866

But I suspect you've already got a plan :)

Thanks Michael, some great info on the below links!

It would be nice to see around 1200kg but understand its going to be alot of work. This is one of the first project i have really wanted to aim high. Normally when mapping a car i aim low and then if it makes more power, its a bonus :)

p.s Nathan has been hinting about getting a supra next but more for track i think. Will definatly be letting him have a go in this after its done. :cool:

Subscribed for updates, be interested to see how much weight you manage to shift, the lightest one on http://suprahardtopregistry.com is ~1325kg

I remember MONKEYmark going quite far with stripping his car down a few years ago but I'm not sure if he got so carried away that he couldn't drive it to be weighed :)

Might be of interest:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104866

But I suspect you've already got a plan :)

Well the project has official started. Today after mapping an Mr2 i cracked on with getting as much out of the interior before dark.... Managed to get everything out apart from the heater unit and the wiring harness.

The best news is it was cold enough today for the bitumen sound deading to literally just break off with a rubber mallet :)

Will be removing the heater etc one night this week when back from up north and then its off to Autotec where the fun really starts :eyebrows:

well done with the sound deadening stuff Ryan, i never realised cold would do the trick, i should have "borrowed" a load of C02 extinguishers from work rather than spend a day with a heat gun :D, i didn't take you seriously when you said 1200kg but i am starting to revise my view, it aint going to look pretty but it sure is going to light

Haha awesome! Ryan I hate you for finding a nice black tt 6 speed... I suspect you got it cheap because of that compression issue. Are you still thinking it's the exhaust valve rather than rings? Could be a good time to get the head ported, flowed and stick some big valves in.... cams, pulleys and head studs too while you're at it! :D

Seeing how your so good at finding them.... please can you help me one? I'm not having much luck :'(

i didn't take you seriously when you said 1200kg but i am starting to revise my view, it aint going to look pretty but it sure is going to light

:)

It can definitely be done. Any less than 1200kg will require titanium on the suspension & brakes though.

Looking forward to the updates.

Gaz.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Will be next ordering up a Lexan window set, If anyone else wants a rear window in lexan see below.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=170606

Another small update is just managed to grab a set of cobra monaco's for £80 :) so if anyone wants a set of stock seats let me know.

Ryan

Good price on the rear window. Ours was nearly £300 from Japan...

I'm surprised your not going for Carbon seats? They aren't that comfy mind but a lot lighter.

Anyone know the weight saving achieved with a carbon hatch and lexan rear window?

Ryan, are you looking at unsprung weight loss? I would rather save 1KG here than 10KG anywhere else.

Its a fair bit. The rear hatch, glass and spoiler are 40kg+ I'd say easy.

You putting carbon doors in Ryan? What about glass in the other areas, changing any of that?

Titanium coil springs and brakes will work wonders - pricey though :p

Gaz.

Ryan, are you looking at unsprung weight loss? I would rather save 1KG here than 10KG anywhere else.

i found when i weighed all my brake components with alluminium bells the whole package came in at a couple of kilos lighter than the stock UK brakes and this included the rather large

360mm x 36mm front discs

Edited by paul mac
drunk again, appaling grammmmer (see edit history)

Anyone know the weight saving achieved with a carbon hatch and lexan rear window?

Hey Charles

With regards unsprung weight, the car already has a nice set of lightweight 17" wheels but not 100% sure on the suspension setup i will be using yet.

Brakes i will keep as jspec with carbotech or CW pads if i get the weight down to what i want as they will be more than enough then.

Ryan

Good price on the rear window. Ours was nearly £300 from Japan...

I'm surprised your not going for Carbon seats? They aren't that comfy mind but a lot lighter.

Its a fair bit. The rear hatch, glass and spoiler are 40kg+ I'd say easy.

You putting carbon doors in Ryan? What about glass in the other areas, changing any of that?

Titanium coil springs and brakes will work wonders - pricey though :p

Gaz.

Hi Gaz

Carbon seats are about 3kg lighter than the monaco's and for the difference in price i would rather spend it on something that is more costly if you get me..

Same with carbon doors really, I will be stripping the doors right back to the first skin with lexan windows which i feel will be pretty close to what the carbon doors will be.

I want to get as much weight out of the car as possiable as it is and then will be looking at seam welding the car and going for a small lite cage.

Gledo has years of experience in the bodywork trade so knows where weight can be removed :)

Ryan

Sorry Rich i just havn't go the drive to weigh all the bits when they come off matey as you would be surprised how many bits come off to just get the dash out. I feel it would double the time and im abit more excited to see actually what the weight is when everything is done.

Update for today is managed to get a couple of hours on the car today and ripped all the heater box out etc. Tomorrow the seats will be arriving and as soon as i get them i will be taking the car over to Autotec where the fun really starts :)

Ryan