The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painting the Supra dashboard

Newgendesign

Just to let u guys know as its the only Mod I have done!

Thought I'd revitalise my Supra. Bought it in September/October amd was disappointed with the state of its appearance. There wasnt actually anything "wrong" with it as I have a fairly impecible condition car. It was just "boring" and very Japanesey (plastic galore). I have seen over the few months the way tuners/stylists sometimes match their dash to the colour of the car so decided to have a go myself.

I trained as an Industrial Designer where we used to create mockups in wood and plastics, and spray paint them using techniques to make them look a realistic as possible. So using this confidence I thought I'd hava bash at spraying my own one up to match my White kitted MkIV.

I managed to source (in separate parts from diff locations) a whole replacement dash (just in case things go wrong!!) and gave it a good sand down to at least give it some "key" as teh rubberised compund they use on it is awful. Ive never known anything to scratch so easily and look so crud!

After giving the panels a good key I carefully sprayed each dash component using a halfords white primer. Then after it had dried I sanded it with the finest wet/dry paper available to give it a silky finish and to get rid of bumps in the paint. multiply thi sby three iterations I realsied that it was working really well and slung several coats of white halfords appliance paint (could use anything to match your paintwork!) and wet and dry it again to get a nice smooth finish.

Eventually it looked superb! As long as you take your time it can look liek a professional effort. Whack a load of seperate coats of lacquer over the surface of all teh panels to give it some scratch resitance and assemble in the car (took a couple of hours not to scratch anything.

Heres a photo (taken on my p900 phone - not great I admit) that shows what it looks like. Im thoroughly happy with it. I need a gear gator piece now to finish it off.

Let me know your thoughts! Im als afterthe silver bezels to go round the speedo dials as seen on some Supras. I know miami-rice do them but Im trying to track them from a breaker. If anyone knows how to get some please let me know!

Jez

30qc9208.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Newgendesign

Just to let u guys know as its the only Mod I have done!

Let me know your thoughts!

Nice one mate. I would say that is top-quality work.

Are you gonna co-ordinate the rest of the interior, i.e. put some white panels on the doors, maybe the transmission tunnel etc?

Splurgey

The interior of the Pagani Zonda is absolutely beautiful. It really is a work of art if you see it up close - never seen anything like it. That's what you get for several hundred grand I suppose (and a matching pair of shoes made by the Pope's cobbler of course).

It really is easy to do -if anyone needs theirs doing it takes a weekend and I will happily spray one up with their choice of colour. Thing is you realy need to do it on a spare dash.

I will do the gear suround as soon as i can track down a replacement. And yes, the right console deck would look great too. I'll start contacting some breakers..

Jez

Ah yes, the pope's cobbler. If I ever have the money, I will never buy a second hand Zonda, despite the wait for a new one, as possibly the greatest moment in the whole ownership period will be at the key ceremony, when I get a lavish looking box, and hear the words 'And, segnor, your driving loafers, made by (insert name of cobbler here). He does some work for the pope, you know'. Class.

hey Jez, if you ever fancy sorting me out a suede dash top let me know! :p

Seb

I want a nice shiny dash, having gloated over Dudes silver dash on Sunday's meet I want one. Dude said its a terrible job getting rid of the rubber thats already on there, personally I woulod'nt know how to get the dash out anyway. Is'nt there somebody on here who will do this in return for some dosh(hopefuly not too much!) Lol!!!:D

Originally posted by Amazing grace

I want a nice shiny dash, having gloated over Dudes silver dash on Sunday's meet I want one. Dude said its a terrible job getting rid of the rubber thats already on there, personally I woulod'nt know how to get the dash out anyway. Is'nt there somebody on here who will do this in return for some dosh(hopefuly not too much!) Lol!!!:D

I thought you were gonna say in return for something else then!! lol

I'd do it for some dosh! But you would need a replacement dashboard really while the work is done!

Paul.

Originally posted by Seb

Ah yes, the pope's cobbler.

The pope has two, actually, who look afer his shoe arrangements. I remember the tale of when they returned his white shoes to him uncleaned, I happened to be walking thru Vatican City that very day.

The pope was so angry he tried to throw them out the balcony window, luckily for them it was shut.

Imagine my surprise however, as I walked below, to hear a dull thud, look up and see the pope pressing his cobblers up against the glass.

Originally posted by dude

Id want £200 to do this :thumbs:

I'd want £500, but nobody will pay me that because:

I'm gei

I'd do it wrong

It would take feckin ages

I'd throw parts of their car round in a mood co I couldn't get the rubber shite off!!

I rag there car cos they wouldn't know and its better than ragging mine:D

I know feck all about painting

So there we are, don't pay me to do this!!!

I wote this post WHY!!!:baa: