The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Difference Between 1JZ and 2JZ engines...

ZXSpectrum

having owned both these engines and compared very closely there is an awfull lot different between the two.

ie the 1jz is the mummy of the 2 engines that was developed by yamaha for 2 years only and then fitted to the lexus for nearly ten but in a different format entirley.

the 1jz has a billet crank, forged rods and pistons and a flowed head by yamaha. short crank offsets, same rods as 2jz and pistons are the same dimentions as the 2jz but they are forged as stock where as the 2jz are cast.

and a load of other differences too, the turbos are bigger on the 1jz than the turbos on the 2jz, this has really anoyed me at present. power out put on the 1jz is equal to the 2jz in standard trim.

the 2jz is the daddy of the 2 engine, just being revised for road use, ie cast crank rods and pistons with a copy of head design by toyota from yamaha to keep cost down.

where as the 1jz was built as a performance engine from 91/92, the 93 engine is not the same and is different in pwer figures.

both good engines with equal tuning capabilities.

I stand to be corrected but this is my experiences whilst having both engines in my hands and technical info available, there are many other changes between the two but basicly thats it.

terry

oh this might interest some people, whilst trying to find pistons from the likes of jun, cosworth, acralite and many others i found that the standard mkiv cast pistons to be a higher spec and capability than race components, ie cosworth and weisco were offering us pistons sets for loads of money that were a lower spec than stock 2jz fitments.

I guess this is why some supras around are running 500 bhp without any problems when set up correctly, and yes fueling is most important to set than anything else, it suprises me how many people build performance engines and run stock fueling and wonder y they get problems.