The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to install my speaker brackets

TrickTT

How to install the speaker brackets from my recent group buy.

You will need:

Small flat screwdriver

No. 2 crosshead screwdriver

10mm socket

Cutters

Drill

Electrical tape.

First thing to do is wind down the window as it makes removing the doorcard much easier.

Remove the small screw in the door handle recess.

And pull the door handle trim piece forward and toward you to remove it.

Inside the door handle, remove the screw (arrowed).

Using your flat screwdriver, pry off the small plastic cover inside the door pull, then remove the screw.

Now you can remove the rest of the door fittings. There are 2 screws behind plastic covers at the front of the door, and 4 screws along the lower edge (red arrows) and 4 pop fittings, 3 at the back, and one central on the front of the door (green arrows). Gently push in the centre of the fitting about 5mm, then pull the whole fitting out. They should come out easily - if not, gently prise them out with your small screwdriver.

Pull the lower edge of the doorcard away from the door about 6 inches, then lift from the back until the door card unhooks from the top of the doorframe.

Fold the doorcard away from the door until you can unplug the wire from the electric window switch.

Unplug the speaker loom (green arrow) and carefully cut the cable tie holding the wiring loom to the front of the speaker enclosure taking care not to cut into the loom.

Now undo the 4 x 10mm bolts (arrowed)

and remove the speaker encolsure from the door.

Remove the 3 screws that hold the stock speaker into the enclosure.

And pry the speaker away. It is glued in place so some care is needed.

Unplug the 2 wires from the back of the speaker

VERY CAREFULLY pry the connector away from the speaker enclosure. Do not break it. It is also glued.

and pull the wires out of the speaker enclosure.

Using the mounting template that is supplied with your speakers, mark and drill 4 pilot holes of an appropriate size in the speaker bracket. Mounting screws are probably supplied with your speakers, but do not use ones that are longer than 15mm or they will stick out through the back of the bracket. Try to avoid drilling in the circled area as the wood is at its thinnest here.

Screw the speaker in place.

Mount your speaker so the connectors are somewhere near the bottom when the speaker is mounted.

Reconnect the loom from the speaker enclosure to your new speaker. Most speakers use standard sizes of spade connector and it will only fit one way. Plug the other end back into the main door wiring loom.

There is 2 different ways to attach the bracket. The best way is to use longer versions of the standard screws. These are sheetmetal screws (sometimes known as ACME screws) In this picture, the standard screw is on the left and the new one is on the right.

Line up the mounting holes and screw the bracket into place, but take care not to overtighten. Then tape the plug and any excess wire to the rest of the loom.

Alternativly (and i do not recommend this method as you have to remove the moisture barrier) you can remove the white plastic plugs that are in the door by squeezing the back of them with pliers and pulling forward. Remember you are waving tools around very close to the lowered window glass - don't blame me if you break it.

You can then use a M6 x 20mm bolt with a large washer on the back.

and a smaller washer and nyloc nut to hold the bracket in place.

Edited by TrickTT (see edit history)

On the back of the doorcard, you will see the stock grill is held on with spring clips on the plastic lugs of the grill. Using wire cutters, just trim the lugs so they are almost flush with the spring clips.

Reconnect the wiring for the electric window switch, then hook the top of the doorcard over the door frame and swing into place. Make sure your wiring is tucked into the recess under the window switches. You might need to jigggle the door card a bit until it drops into place.

Reinstall all the screws in the same place you removed them from.

To refit the pop fastners on the back edge of the door, pull the centre bit out as shown in the photo, then insert them ito the holes until the outer part sits tight against the door, then push the middle bit in until its flush.

The pop fastner on the front of the door used to mount into the stock speaker enclosure. As thats no longer there, I use a bit of hot glue to hold it in place.

Repeat the process on the other door, then download this LINKY onto your ipod, sit back and enjoy your handiwork.

Thanks to Burna for the use of his car.

Hope you wiped down Burna's cards. :D

:( I've let the side down, cleaning them tonight :)

After Rich had fitted my speakers, fitted HID's in fogs and dipped along with four LED sidelights, fully flushed the car draining the block and heater matrix and then refilled with Toyota red for life, I turned up to collect the car on Sunday to find he'd only bloody washed it for me aswell! :blink: The guy is a legend :cool:

Great write up mate and many thanks again :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
Burna, How are you finding the Infinity's?

Bassy?

To be honest mate no. I find there's way more bass coming from the stock rear speakers.

Listening to how bassy Pete's speakers are in his car gave me the push the upgrade mine, but the results aren't as good as I expected :( I don't know what speakers Pete has but they aren't infinity's.

I had very good sound and a lot of bass out of the stock speakers with the stock UK head unit (As shown late night JAE 2006 :D), but as soon as I fitted the kenwood head unit and bypassed the stock amp with the autoleads cable the bass dropped right off :( Now I don't know whether that is down to bypassing the stock amp or the trait of the head unit, but I did hope the infinity's would solve it.

'ICE' is something I have never looked into before and therefore know nothing about so I just plumped for speakers that other members had fitted before. I'm still none the wiser where I went wrong.

oh. :blink:

Wednesday I bought 2 sets of Pioneer 6.5" speakers and fitted one of them in the back (didn't even get as far as fitting the fronts).

Yesterday, I returned and changed them for 2 sets of the infinity's.

Looks like there will be another trip to Halfrauds tonight to return these then.

I don't want anything crazy loud, but I want to feel like my money was well spent.

The magnets on the speakers I've tried so far would look equally at home stuck to a fridge.

Anyone got any recommendations for 6.5" speakers?

Not the right thread for this...

Edited by monkey3 (see edit history)

Please try the Infinitys and let me know what you think, I have a feeling it's down to my headunit, I really do.

Well, I'm probably going to fit them tonight now anyway as I have a long drive tomorrow and I'll take them back on Sunday. :innocent:

I'll let you know how it goes.

But I have a feeling it'll be similar to the Pioneer's in that they just sound like they need some back pressure... maybe dynamat is in order...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Great write up. Any idea where I can get the longer ACME screws? I went to B&Q, Halfords and Homebase today looking but no luck?

I got mine from a local automotive components supplier in a big box of various sizes. A decent hardware shop/motor factors should have them.