The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Widening stock wheels

Adam W

This is something I've read about on supraforums, wondered if it could be done over here and if it was a good idea!

I like the sleeper look of the wheels I have on mine (16x9 rears, stock J-spec TT) but I could really use some more rubber on the road (big single, no traction control!). If I could get them widened to 16x10.5 or something (I'd need to research exactly what would fit under mine) then I would maintain the sleeper look and could run a nice wide tyre with a high sidewall which is ideal for straight line traction.

I know nothing about what the process involves or whether it is a safe route to go down and wondered if anyone knew anything about it. I know it can be done though!

PMSL....Sorry, I can just see you cutting them wheels in 2 and me welding in a 1" wide bit of ali :D

If it can be done, which I really cant see it being, I would imagine buying RLTC would be cheaper. Is the RLTC universal fit?? or is it an upgrade for vehicles already with TC??

I think a 10.5 is the widest that will fit under the stock arches. I just thought though, it's difficult (impossible?) to find any tyres wider than 245 in 16" sizes so this may not be a great course of action after all . . . even if the wheels do stay in one piece!

Originally posted by Supragal

Someone suggested this to me when I was having hassle getting 12's for the rear of mine. Apparently adding an extra inch or so (ahem) is do-able but I didn't trust the idea, but then I never actually did any research into it...

Why the fook do you want rubber that big ?? lol

You gonna raise the suspension up and turn it into a monster truck supra or semething?? :D :D

Paul.