The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA to TT conversion - problems

Trig

As some of you know im in the middle of my NA-TT.

Have run into a couple of problems.

1st of all is the main big problem, one of the connections from the engine is completely different from the one on the car, im thinking it could possibly be that the car the engine came from had ABS??

anyway heres a pic, just need to know if there is a way around it?

the connector on the engine -

and also the connection which is obviously not the same -

Next is im not sure what connects onto these 2 pipes? there doesnt seem to be anything nearby which they locate onto?

Hello mate,

I can`t help with the electrical connector but the pipes both run to the charcoal cannister. The pipe in the first photo runs to a solid pipe which is attached to the bulkhead then goes via a rubber pipe to the rear cannister connection. The pipe in the second photo goes directly to the front cannister connection. If you have no charcoal cannister try a search as to how to plumb these pipes. Hope this helps:d

Hi Trig, you need to remove the connector you have in your hand in the pic and wire the connector from from the NA loom in it's place.

There will be two black and red wires that you will have to join together as there is only one black and red wire coming from the NA connector. They are for the fuel pump relays, the TT has two and the NA just one.

Lastly make sure the thick black wire is joined together properly, this is for the starter motor, and as I found out (after lots of head scratching), if the connection isn't great it won't start at all!!

Jim ive done what you said, but there is still a white and a blue wire remaining? any ideas what i need to do with them?

also still not sure what to connect picture 1 to? there doesnt seem to be any hoses near by at all??

yes trig.

If you are up for another conversion let me know. Just found out my headgaskets gone and I am not going to bother repairing the Na but do an engine swap.

:(

no worries mate, always happy to lend a hand and now ive got some idea of what im doing :)

but also if you decide against it ive got a spare NA engine going v.cheap ;)

Jim ive done what you said, but there is still a white and a blue wire remaining? any ideas what i need to do with them?

also still not sure what to connect picture 1 to? there doesnt seem to be any hoses near by at all??

I blank off that pipe mate which i copyed from DamanC's supra his was blanked off also its not needed as far as im aware mines been running fine.

I blank off that pipe mate which i copyed from DamanC's supra his was blanked off also its not needed as far as im aware mines been running fine.

ah nice one :cool:

think ive sorted the wires too :cool:

also run into another little problem, but ill start another thread :)

no worries mate, always happy to lend a hand and now ive got some idea of what im doing :)

but also if you decide against it ive got a spare NA engine going v.cheap ;)

thats very kind of you. I'll bear NA engine in mind too. Really interested in having a go at this. It'll be a real accomplishment to do it myself.

The blue wire is left redundant, i just taped it up out of the way. The white one is an odd one, I can't remember there being a white wire on my connector.

thats very kind of you. I'll bear NA engine in mind too. Really interested in having a go at this. It'll be a real accomplishment to do it myself.

no worries :thumbs:

im sort of looking forward to turning the key but at the same time dreading it :eek:

ok got through a few more head scratches but its coming together now :)

i seem to have a spare grey connector on the loom in the footwell?? any ideas where it may go?

throttle control unit? or there are a few connectors that plug in the left had side of the footwell mate.

Check all the coil packs and the ignitor pack is all connected up properly mate.

Think weve sorted the misfire, we wired up a single grey wire that is possibly the delimeter and seems to be running fine now. could possibly be that we didnt give it enough time to get rid of the airlocks in the fuel line tho.

but the power steering pump that i took off my NA decided to give up the ghost so we have to change it. Ill keep you updated.

also the belt tensioner bar we havent fitted back yet, will it be a big problem if we dont straight away?