The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlamp alignment - how?

michael

I feel a bit of a fool asking this but how the devil do you align the headlamps? My LH one is way out (due to me fitting it to replace a foggy one) and I really want to get it sorted asap - just a vague improvement until I get a chance to take it to an MOT place and use their proper alignment stuff anyway.

I can only really see the two threaded bolts as in the pic below that could be anything to do with the alignment but can't really work out which way to turn them or in fact if they are really for that, can anyone advise or better still can someone with the workshop manuals scan me the relevant pages?

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/week5.5/headlamp-02.jpg

I tried turning these bolts but didn't notice any movement, I didn't want to go too far though in case anything fell out :) It's getting dark now so I might go out and have another play now that I can see if they move the beam but in the meantime any help would be most appreciated :)

The one with the cross point and hex head, are the ones to adjust the up and down of main, and dipped beam.

If the other headlight is adjusted correctly, a simple but bit rough ay of setting them up, is to park close to a wall, and simply adjust the beam up and down to make the bad one match the good.

Or you could use a white bit of paper, and mark out the main lines of the beam on it, then use the paper on the other side and get the dip hight correct.

I did this before an MOT and it worked a treat.

Cheers, I'm in the right area then :)

The RH unit seems OK, sits nice and level, the LH is pointing at the floor so it's not much use.

Can they only be adjusted up and down then? Is there any left > right movement you can do without padding out the mounting with washers? (I don't plan to do this BTW just wondering :))

• 5 months later...
Originally posted by mcanny

All adjusted :)

Slightly annoyed by my incompetence when I realised I'd been adjusting the fog lamp not the dipped lamp but a few more spanner turns and shredded knuckles got me there ;)

I'm trying to do the very same thing Michael, and I'm having the problems.

You say you'd been adjusting the fog lamps, does that mean that those silver coloured adjusters are just for the fogs? So what do I need to adjust to get the dipped and main beams pointed the right way?

Thanks

Main beams don't adjust for some bizarre reason, they are fixed (or I never found a means to adjust them at least!).

The normal beam is adjusted from the threaded silver bar nearest to it and the fog from the other.

The movement is very gradual so it's hard to tell if you are going in the right direction, I found that making a mark on the wall and comparing this every 20 turns helped.

• 7 months later...

I'm pleased someone brought this up, as I have been looking at them today wondering how the hell you adjust them :blink: I just bought Xenon bulbs to go in, and have been sitting at work with my Dremel getting rid of those damn lugs.

I want to get the setting right before its MOT at the beginning of March.

Little white plastic one at the bottom adjusts the height, the metal ones at the top do the side to side bit. This got on my tits for a while too, but its easy when you start by getting the height right with the bottom white plastic nut. When you buy new supra glass headlights the RHS one usually seems to be set way low, and points in t'wards the ditch. Why I'll never know. Good luck!.

• 6 months later...

Does anybody have copies of a supra maintenance manual that depicts these with army directions (pictures)? Anybody have any pics with little arrows on em pointing to these adjusters? I'm likely to blind some folks if I get it wrong and I know people already hate me for driving a jspec car in Germany. Lights are skewed to the left instead of the right. Thanks for the help.

• 6 months later...