The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How-to: Clean O2 sensors in NA

• 2 weeks later...

are the 2 sensors for Jspec NA any different?

my toyota garage tells me that these are different, they have even different part numbers/prices.

is that possible or is it just a mistake of my garage?? i think the US-Spec has two different ones!?

regards, herbert

Edited by Herb (see edit history)

I've just cleaned mine, as I'd read the guide and figured it wouldn't do any harm. My MPG hasn't been that great either.

As per the guide, I soaked the 02 sensors in lemon juice, then '3-in-one Professional heavy duty cleaner degreaser' and finally with some carb spray.

I immediately noticed an improvement with the idle (which was a little high before) now idles at exactly 1000 rpm for a few minutes at startup, then drops to exactly 600rpm and holds solid. I'll get some MPG figures over the coming weeks.

Would I benefit from resetting the ECU?

Also, I started the car up with the 02s removed, sounded like a Spitfire :D

• 1 year later...

does anyone know if WD-40 would be ok to clean the O2 sensors with after they come out of the Lemon juice, or do you need to get specifically brake cleaner, and if so, would something like this be ok?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_228374_productId_249510_langId_-1?cm_mmc=Shopping-_-Google%20Product%20Search-_-Bikes%2FBike%20Maintenance%20%26%20Tools%2FBike%20Cleaning-_-Muc-Off%20Disc%20Brake%20Cleaner%20400ml&source=shopping#tab1

• 2 weeks later...
Blime, mine took over a week, although they did have to clear customs, mine are also working great :D and does anyone know if its a good idea to reset the ECU? and if it is how to do it?

Pull the negative lead off the battery for a few mins, then reconnect, start car, and leave to idle for a few mins, then go for a gentle drive. Job done

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Call me stupid too as yes I'm female but do all my own Mechanics on my Supra but was looking at getting Universal one wire O2 sensor's from my local Autofactor's as have a trade account as they're only £11 each. Then all i Have to do is cut the connector plug off the old sensors and solder them onto the wire and heat shrink.

Sure this is ok but please let me know if this is not a valid thing to do !!

Edited by locutus9871
mistake (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

Doing this right now, the sensors are currently sat in a pair of 'Purple Ronnie' shot glasses! :cool:

Not sure how dirty mine were as I had no way to gauge it... They didn't look terrible, but nothing wrong with leaving them in a small glass full of freshly squeezed lemons overnight ;)

Also took it as an opportunity to freshen up the heat shield, and clean up a few other bolts around the general area by scrubbing them down and spraying black.

Will reset the ECU as above when I stick the sensors back in. An easy job to do that can only do good at the end of the day! :)