The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which headlight bulbs for JSpec and UK Spec?

Pete

Information kindly from Nic:

The correct bulbs for the J-spec plastic headlights (early and late model) are:

Low = 9006J

High = 9005J

The J variant of the bulbs are a different fit to the standard 9006/HB4 and 9005/HB3 bulbs. The 9005/HB3 bulbs will fit in place of the 9005J, but the 9006/HB4 bulb will not fit in the low beam (the diameter of the body of the bulb is too big). As an alternative you can use a 9005/HB3 bulbs in the low beam as well (note you will need to trim a rib on the connection with the harness so that they will fit, very easy to do), ie

Low = 9005HB3

High = 9005/HB3

Here are pics of each bulb to illustrate the differences, note the difference in the diameter of the 9006J (20mm) and 9006/HB4 (22mm) body; this is what causes the fitment problems.

attachment.php?attachmentid=218363&d=1492432022

attachment.php?attachmentid=218364&d=1492432022

Note: the UK spec glass headlights do not have this problem, they are designed to fit Low 9006/HB4 and High 9005/HB3

90059005jub0.jpg

90069006jkg6.jpg

Edited by Pete
Fix images (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So for Jspec... 9005 in low and high beam.

Anymore info as to what part you actually trim? any pics?

It's a small rib inside the plug where the bulb connects to the wiring loom, it'll be obvious when you try to connect the bulb and loom.

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Why do people have to be such smart arses,

The Low = 9006J; High = 9005J for JSpec are not available in EU as far as I know

I just bough the HB4 Osram Cool Blue Bulbs, have not tried to fit them yet

Are you refering to me?

Btw, I think you'll need 2 sets of HB3 if yours is a J-spec

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/hb3-9005-bulbs/

Edited by Lbm (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

What about US spec facelift headlights? I think my local dealer bought J-spec for my supra after i wanted to replace one headlight after some stonechip damage. I live in sweden, and there need US spec facelift headlights.

Could someone maybe post the toyota ordernr for this item?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

the JSpec lights have HB3 for headlight and HB3 for dipped beam, and H3 for fog lights. i have the email address for the supplier for the groupbuy on here, he sells all the kits for 50gbp posted and a 1yr warrenty on all parts full replacement :)

• 11 months later...
Information kindly from Nic:

The correct bulbs for the J-spec plastic headlights (early and late model) are:

Low = 9006J

High = 9005J

The J variant of the bulbs are a different fit to the standard 9006/HB4 and 9005/HB3 bulbs. The 9005/HB3 bulbs will fit in place of the 9005J, but the 9006/HB4 bulb will not fit in the low beam (the diameter of the body of the bulb is too big). As an alternative you can use a 9005/HB3 bulbs in the low beam as well (note you will need to trim a rib on the connection with the harness so that they will fit, very easy to do), ie

Low = 9005HB3

High = 9005/HB3

Here are pics of each bulb to illustrate the differences, note the difference in the diameter of the 9006J (20mm) and 9006/HB4 (22mm) body; this is what causes the fitment problems.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/3983/90059005jub0.jpg

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3517/90069006jkg6.jpg

Note: the UK spec glass headlights do not have this problem, they are designed to fit Low 9006/HB4 and High 9005/HB3

Thank you

Thanks so much for this. I just need to know where to buy the 2006J spec. I bought HB3 9005 and trimmed down and that fits fine.

• 8 months later...
So are people snipping the bulb rib or the harness its self rib, because i can see inside there is 2 nubbins where as the old bulb only had one hence why it needs snipping some off but which side bulb or harnes?

The bulb not wiring loom. I'm doing this this weekend.

• 1 month later...
Guest suprabad82

are the UK spec and the N/A spefc headlights assemblies the same? and also if i went from a jspec to a UK spec assembly would it just be plug and play or would i have to do some mods?