The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox oil??

SilverSoop

Hi all, yep ive finally got her back yesterday thankgod and you wont believe this, but the noise is STILL there. The guys at gearlink have tried their hardest to fix the gearbox and found two faulty gears which they have now replaced. So He came to the conclusion that it must be the gearbox oil. This got me thinking, because my box is a 6spd tt Getrag box, i thought that it should use only V160 gearbox oil but instead, they filled it with 10w 40 which they believe is better oil because the viscosity inst as low and would last longer in lubricating the gearbox. So the question is, what gearbox oil does everyone use and do you think that would be causing the noise??

Because now, i can hardly hear the noise when shes cold but when she warm, i can hear it clearly like i could before. The guy has worked on gearboxes for 15 years plus and hes stumped!

The reason you cant hear the noise when its cold is because of the higher viscosity. Ive heard stories of rouge traders doing things like that in the past. Putting in mega thick oil to cover up problems/clanks.

If there is still a clanking noise, there must still be an issue, as they arnt meant to make noises. simple as that.

Not sure what the cause could be though. Hope you get it fixed.

hmmm 10w40 doesnt sound right. i use 75w90 in my gearbox

Yeh thanks all, i know thats what i said to the guy at gearlink but he was adament that the type he uses, he puts in every gearbox hes dealt with! Well, this isnt a normal gearbox, and i said to him it should have v160 gearbox oil....:blink:

Ok thanks guys, you have been a big help. Just one thing though, im going to get this oil out straightaway but do i have to drop the box to drain the oil or can it be done from being jacked up cos unfortunetely, i dont have a ramp to put her on. Oh yeh, does halfords or auto factors sell 75w 90 cos im going to put that in for the meantime until i get some v160 oil...

to fill it up mate just pop the gear stick out allot easier then doing it from below .

Is that true? I want to top mine up for the new owner, as it has a weeping rear seal, but it's p!ssing down outside. It would be great if I could do it from inside the car.

Hang on a mo . . . how do you know the correct level if you're just chucking it in from above?

:confused:

Ok thanks guys, you have been a big help. Just one thing though, im going to get this oil out straightaway but do i have to drop the box to drain the oil or can it be done from being jacked up cos unfortunetely, i dont have a ramp to put her on. Oh yeh, does halfords or auto factors sell 75w 90 cos im going to put that in for the meantime until i get some v160 oil...

i got v160 oil from mr wiffin the very next day i ordered;)