The mkiv Supra Owners Club

WARNING 15 year old brake line rotted through

paul mac

Just a bump and a reminder about these. Thankfully mine failed whilst they were being tested on the mot. Rear pipe exploded covering a nice portion of the workshop in brake fluid :(

Was that the front to rear line? Or the lines that actually split of to each rear wheel?

• 1 year later...

Just got my hopes on having a couple of months of the supra on the road before winter runined.

Starting up all fine but on checking around underneath there was fluid leaking??? a quick sniff and yep, fuel.

Any current option for replacing. I am sure I saw a braided pipe kit recently but cant find it, anyone know what the best replacement?

fuel leak.JPG

• 6 months later...
Is it hard to replace the brake hard lines without dropping the fuel tank and subframe?

You would definitely need to slacken off the fuel tank straps that hold it in place to get the pipes up to the connections on the top of the tank. And pretty sure you would need to drop the subframe, though again you might just be able to slacken one side and remove the other to drop it down to slide them over. If you went braided flexibles then you could thread them through ok without all that effort.

You would definitely need to slacken off the fuel tank straps that hold it in place to get the pipes up to the connections on the top of the tank. And pretty sure you would need to drop the subframe, though again you might just be able to slacken one side and remove the other to drop it down to slide them over. If you went braided flexibles then you could thread them through ok without all that effort.

Thanks. Are you talking about fuel lines? If so I'm changing out those with some braided ptfe lines. I was more concerned about the brake lines. Was under the car yesterday and took a look. it did look very tight back there over the subframe. Is it even possible to get pre bent brake lines in there without dropping subframe. My car is on axle stands in a very dusty and undfriendly garage atm.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just had my first ever brake pipe failure in over 40 years of driving around, on my 13 year old Range Rover. Rather than buy and fit a new front to rear cars length of pipe I patched in a repair section. Did the job. You never know when these things will fail, my Supra is still on the original front to rear pipes for brakes and fuel.

Indeed. Fortunately I took the plastic protector off and caught a very rusty fuel line before it sprung a leak. My brake line on the other hand looked to be in great condition considering the age/mileage. I've not checked the TT6 at all (it is on the list of things to do/check), so I believe that is also on the original pipes front to rear for brakes and fuel. It is in a much nicer condition underneath though, so I'd be surprised if anything needed to be changed. 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...