The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA to TT engine transplant - step by step guide (Pic heavy)

miko_supra

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SupraDooper

Nice work with the write up. Been wanting to do the same conversion. I can do all the nuts and bolts side of things the only thing im not good with is electrical. It seems that is wasn't covered to much by this guide so im not sure what to assume. Could I assume that the other harness just plugged up to the existing fusebox fittings etc with only the needed to change the one plug you mentioned or is there alot involved? I realise it varies with model and series, but I have the similar model to yourself. It's been along time since this conversion but any guidance would really help if anyone comes along my post. Thanks.

Nice work with the write up. Been wanting to do the same conversion. I can do all the nuts and bolts side of things the only thing im not good with is electrical. It seems that is wasn't covered to much by this guide so im not sure what to assume. Could I assume that the other harness just plugged up to the existing fusebox fittings etc with only the needed to change the one plug you mentioned or is there alot involved? I realise it varies with model and series, but I have the similar model to yourself. It's been along time since this conversion but any guidance would really help if anyone comes along my post. Thanks.

The only electrical side of this conversion is the small mod on the fuse box connector.

• 4 weeks later...
Wish there was a thread like this but with a 1JZ being installed, im trying to find out as much info as i can before actually doing it, if any body has any info on doing this pm me thanks.

hi mate, Im doing the 1JZ conversion at the mo, got the engine in - looks lovely under the bonnet, the down pipe from the soarer fits straight onto the 2nd decat. thinking of using a Restrictor ring & FCd before firing it up. Tommorrow we're gana start on the wiring but haven't got much of a clue to be honest. do you have any wiring diagrams by any chance?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kennyboy

Hi, great write up this will come in handey when i do my, as i was looking though your pictrure i saw a switch that ive got on my supra but i do not no wat it dos can you tell me its the one in the middle next to your clifford alarm light

Hi, great write up this will come in handey when i do my, as i was looking though your pictrure i saw a switch that ive got on my supra but i do not no wat it dos can you tell me its the one in the middle next to your clifford alarm light

If it is a non-stock looking rocker switch it will most likely be for the rear fog light. The jspec cars don't have one as standard so these have to be added as aftermarket items. Easy way to check is turn the lights on, flick the switch and see if you have an extra red light at the rear.

If it is a non-stock looking rocker switch it will most likely be for the rear fog light. The jspec cars don't have one as standard so these have to be added as aftermarket items. Easy way to check is turn the lights on, flick the switch and see if you have an extra red light at the rear.

Thats the one!

Guest chris_shirl

hi how are you finding the drive with the 5 speed box?

Do you find like us you are losing out in the top speed? Also does your gearbox get very hot? we have already had to refurbish on gearbox

• 5 weeks later...
hi how are you finding the drive with the 5 speed box?

Do you find like us you are losing out in the top speed? Also does your gearbox get very hot? we have already had to refurbish on gearbox

Mine was limited to 112 still so already had top end issues :p. I loved the 5 speed box, allot more fun that the 6 speed I currently have. Just a shame its not strong enough for more power.

With the NA-TT conversion, on an Auto is it a 'different' Autobox that needs to go into the car or will the one from the NA cope fine.....

Basically do I need a TT autobox? :) Or are they generic?

TT auto box's are different and stronger than the n/a autos. As far as I'm aware the n/a's one wont handle the power increase.

• 2 months later...

I've got the majority of what I need to convert mine now, I've just got a few questions!

Throttle control ecu is this needed on every conversion? Someone said you don't need it if you haven't got cruise control or traction control or something like that?

Mine has neither so should I worry about getting it?

Also I've got a tt6 ecu but no loom, if my engine was from an auto previously ( I've got the frame number so I'll be checking at work tomorrow) could I fit a manual loom or would I need to use an auto loom and get a tt auto ecu?

Thanks

Throttle control ECU is actually the traction control ECU. It's not needed if you have a manual.

The auto loom will work fine with a 6spd ECU (provided you have a manual gearbox of course!). It's only the other way that it doesn't work - i.e if you have an auto box you must have an auto TT ECU and engine loom

• 5 months later...

Hi there! I'm a newbie here and looking to convert my auto na supra to tt. Your thread is very informative but the links to all the pics you have posted are dead. Is there anyway I can view those pics? I've got to do all the work myself and I've got very little experience and this thread was the only one I could find which had understandable info.