The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Conversion of an TT Aerotop from auto to manual

Guest supratt69

Guest supratt69

this might seem like a stupid question but i have seen roofs cut and shifted down inches on minis and other cars so:

Is it thoeretically possible to transplant roofs!! I know it sounds like a very stupid idea, but if you had enough money and time would it be possible?

Or would it be more efficient and less problems to transfer the gear boxes?

I only say this as i really want an aero but love the 6spd box. the only 6 spd aero u can get is the american version which are , of course left hand drive and a bit scarey when it comes to over taking.

your thoughts please!!

I would think a viable route (if there is such a thing for this sort of project) would be to buy a NA aerotop for around £7-8K and a 6 speed TT for around £9-11K.

then strip the auto NA and do the necessary transmission tunnel mod's that i think i've heard are necessary (get it resprayed) and then transfer all the TT internals across and then sell the spare TT chassis and auto NA bits.

If you had a manual TT already, and could do alot of the general mechanics yourself, i reckon you could end up with a Royal sapphire pearl, 6 speed TT aerotop for a net outlay of approx £12K, or standard base colour with no leather for sub £10K.

£8K - NA aero

£5K - Towards adj to aero chassis and transfers of TT to aero shell (assumes alot of DIY)

£3K respray + cream leather retrimmed seats

with maybe £4K of bits left to sell.

This is all just pure speculation and could be miles out. I have no idea about the issues of if, for example, the NA wiring is adequate for all the TT functions or any of the numerous other problems of which i'm ignorant. It just seems to me that if you have both types of car then your parts problems are sorted it is 'only' a matter then of swapping the relevant bits.

BTW I think all of you auto to manual conversion wannabe's are mad, but would love to see one made.

It would be unique, so in theory you could charge what you like!

You're knackered either way really. Convertiing an Aerotop to manual is gonna cost £5000+ (I asked JIC once - they said they stopped investigating once the price got to £5000, so it's at least that), and taking the roof off a hard top is gonna balls up the rigidity. Although I think Scooter's plan does look pretty well thought out - good starting point at any rate :thumbs:

I'm just wondering about the US manual Aerotop though.... *ponders*... what would you need for that? Assuming the body shell/chassis is the same for both LHD and RHD cars, that means the pedal box could be fairly easily swapped over (as it's the same body/chassis for both markets and was designed to have it on either side). After that, all you need is a RHD dash...?

I wonder if simply convering a LHD car would actually be easier. Dunno about cheaper, as you've got to ship the car over here obviously, but the only labour would be moving the pedal box and the dash...? Parts cost would be just the price of a RHD dashboard!

Originally posted by 200SX Boy

I'm just wondering about the US manual Aerotop though.... *ponders*... what would you need for that?

If the prices are anything like they were when I was over there in 2001 the cost of the car itself might be an issue - they seemed pretty expensive.

OK I've just checked and they are cheaper than they were (obviously) but $30,000 to $45,000 seems to be the norm.

Autotrader US - Supra Search

I'm liking this one.

Bah you've got me thinking back about my cancelled move to California now.... would have been nice to have a Supra over there :(

Originally posted by 200SX Boy

It would be unique, so in theory you could charge what you like!

You're knackered either way really. Convertiing an Aerotop to manual is gonna cost £5000+ (I asked JIC once - they said they stopped investigating once the price got to £5000, so it's at least that), and taking the roof off a hard top is gonna balls up the rigidity. Although I think Scooter's plan does look pretty well thought out - good starting point at any rate :thumbs:

I'm just wondering about the US manual Aerotop though.... *ponders*... what would you need for that? Assuming the body shell/chassis is the same for both LHD and RHD cars, that means the pedal box could be fairly easily swapped over (as it's the same body/chassis for both markets and was designed to have it on either side). After that, all you need is a RHD dash...?

I wonder if simply convering a LHD car would actually be easier. Dunno about cheaper, as you've got to ship the car over here obviously, but the only labour would be moving the pedal box and the dash...? Parts cost would be just the price of a RHD dashboard!

£5000 eh , well tell you what you drop me down a TT Aerotop and i'll pop in a manual box and diff etc for £4000, hurry before i change my mind , but i'll need the car for 3-4 days :thumbs:

Dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by dude

£5000 eh , well tell you what you drop me down a TT Aerotop and i'll pop in a manual box and diff etc for £4000, hurry before i change my mind , but i'll need the car for 3-4 days :thumbs:

Dude:flame Dev

God damn it!!!! How has no-one snapped this up?!?!?! ;)

is it worth all the trouble? and expense

seems like most american cars are aerotops. there is a guy on supraforums with a hardtop and he likes it because its different.

not really paid much attention to aerotops i like the smooth lines of the hard top

but a 6 speed aerotop in rhd sounds good. just dont understand what all the fuss is over? people like to be different.

i would love a fiat 126 bis with supra engine and auto gearbox for drag racing. would be propper mad. and would be fun beating 10 second cars :) but then i am a bit mad or so people keep saying

Originally posted by Thorin

Dude, do you realise just what is involved in this conversion? It's not just sticking a getrag box in and adding a clutch pedal.

Let alone the sticky backed plastic and washing up bottle!

Please list it Thorin - before I let him do something that he'll regret

:p