The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Insurance

ADL Mark

Phoned up Sky on Friday to tell them about the single I'm about to install. Pushed my annual premium up from £800 to over £1300 :blink:

Not impressed at all. Thankfully my policy is up around the middle of November so I'll be able to phone around again. From reading on here, A-plan sound quite promising. Just a bit worried that they don't do agreed value which Sky do..

£1300 seems to be about the going rate for those in their 30's... The UK conversions are a lot cheaper though! It's crazy, since those cars are generally worth more than the imports.

Edit, just noticed you're only 24. TBH, thats not a bad price at all considering the HP output.

Try getting a quote for a Skyline! :taped:

Can I ask what bhp the car was and what bhp you have been quoted for going single?

What you have to remember is that insurance brokers often use a panel of insurers. So which company is cheapest for you at the start of the policy may not be the cheapest if you change part way through. Before you start a policy if you are considering making changes it is worth mentioning as it may save money in the long run.

I'm not this dull in person, I just put my work voice on :taped:

Ta

Matt

Phoned up Sky on Friday to tell them about the single I'm about to install. Pushed my annual premium up from £800 to over £1300 :blink:

Not impressed at all. Thankfully my policy is up around the middle of November so I'll be able to phone around again. From reading on here, A-plan sound quite promising. Just a bit worried that they don't do agreed value which Sky do..

Dunno fella that is quite an increase to be fair, without knowing all the facts about your driving history, how long you've owned the vehicle it would be hard to say.

But to be fair having worked in the industry for a few years now, I've never heard anyone try and stich someone up for the sake of doing it. This may seem highly improbable, but most people don't get kicks from having unhappy costomers giving them a hard time.

Not much of a help,

I see what you're saying Matt, makes sense.

I suppose to Joe Public, sometimes it would just be handy to see some of the formulas they use because the quotes between people and even for the same person seem to vary wildly. To us, it just seems like they're plucking figures out of the air. It's quite frustrating.

I know exactly what you are saying and I'd love to give someone a look at all 200+ schemes I use and how similar details can produce different prices, but the P45 would land on my desk shortly afterwards I'm sure.

The schemes are tweaked every few months according to past perfomance stats to make sure that they run at a profit and this rarely happens.

http://www.abi.org.uk/Display/File/524/Annual_Overview_2006.pdf

If you type in, "Motor insurance has made an underwriting loss for the twelfth" and search the article you can see I'm not a big fat hairy insurance lier!

There really is no voodoo, lucky hat, tombola, dartboard with extra '0's added.

Thanks

Matt

I see what you're saying Matt, makes sense.

I suppose to Joe Public, sometimes it would just be handy to see some of the formulas they use because the quotes between people and even for the same person seem to vary wildly. To us, it just seems like they're plucking figures out of the air. It's quite frustrating.