The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How To: Install a Speedo Convertor and Delimiter

I'm a little confused by my Speed Converter. I don't know what make it is but the way it's wired in seems a little strange. i've put a thread here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?274251-Speed-Converter-Help-Urgently-Needed

I'm especially confused by the pink wire on the ecu still being connected and the blue wire from my Speed Converter isn't connected to anything.

In the diagram does why does the yellow why say 'clamped' and what does it output?

Also, I have a Blitz SBC i-D III boost controller and power meter. On this forum it says the I need a signal from the speed sensor so should connect it to the pink wire on the loom.

Edited by Big Mark (see edit history)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little confused by my Speed Converter. I don't know what make it is but the way it's wired in seems a little strange. i've put a thread here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?274251-Speed-Converter-Help-Urgently-Needed

I'm especially confused by the pink wire on the ecu still being connected and the blue wire from my Speed Converter isn't connected to anything.

If I get chance I'll have a look at it but I'm working today and of on holiday tomorrow.

In the diagram does why does the yellow why say 'clamped' and what does it output?

The output is a limited version of the the speed signal: it's the exact same speed the other outputs use, up until a point. It 'clamps' the speed the speed limiter function the ECU is being told so that it never reaches the magic 180kph / 155mph value; e.g. as follows for a Jap car:

Actual speed // Clamped speed

0mph // 0mph

50mph // 50mph

100mph // 100mph

125mph // 100mph

150mph // 100mph

200mph // 100mph

I don't know how what the actual clamp value is, but that's how it works.

I've heard horror stories regarding poor speedo convertors that 'wrap' around at 100mph, so imagine you're flat out and about to pass through 100mph actual speed, these convertors tell the ECU the car is doing ....97mph...98mph...99mph...0mph....1mph....2mph...3mph....

And at the transition from 99mph to '0mph' the car suddenly swap from minimum power steering assistance to maximum and other such scary things happen. Also they can cause speed sensor related errors and/or be incompatible with cruise control.

If you do buy a new unit from Thor, the unit has changed so the wiring on the new one doesn't match this guide. Pete at Thor emailed me the new colours as below:

"RED = 12V (red on old unit)

BLACK = 0V (black on old unit)

GREY = KPH Input (green on old unit)

BLUE = MPH Output (white on old unit)

BROWN = Speed Delimited Output (yellow on old unit)

So wire the box to the speedo and extend the brown wire down to the ECU where you will CUT the pink wire and connect the brown extended wire to the ECU side."

There is also a purple wire coming out of the new unit. I did nothing with this (just insulated it) as neither Pete nor the paper instructions said to use it. The unit works well and I've had no problems. I didn't wire into the ODO plug, though, as I wanted that to continue to count up in kilometres.

If you do buy a new unit from Thor, the unit has changed so the wiring on the new one doesn't match this guide. Pete at Thor emailed me the new colours as below:

"RED = 12V (red on old unit)

BLACK = 0V (black on old unit)

GREY = KPH Input (green on old unit)

BLUE = MPH Output (white on old unit)

BROWN = Speed Delimited Output (yellow on old unit)

So wire the box to the speedo and extend the brown wire down to the ECU where you will CUT the pink wire and connect the brown extended wire to the ECU side."

There is also a purple wire coming out of the new unit. I did nothing with this (just insulated it) as neither Pete nor the paper instructions said to use it. The unit works well and I've had no problems. I didn't wire into the ODO plug, though, as I wanted that to continue to count up in kilometres.

Thanks for the info. I'd be even more confused if I bought a Thor one and got it home with totally different colours to the guide.

Thanks for the info. I'd be even more confused if I bought a Thor one and got it home with totally different colours to the guide.

I picked mine up from Thor on the way home tonight. Looking forward to fitting it at the weekend tho I am curious as hell about what the purple wire is for.

The new Thor speed converter doesn't have a kph out, unless it's the purple wire that isn't mentioned in the instructions at all.

So I currenly don't have anythng connected to the pink wire of the loom so no signal going to progressive power steerting.

Also I have a Blitz SBC-id power meter which takes a signal from the pink wire off the loom, so this isn't working either now.

Can I simply join the blue(red stripe) input wire from the speed sensor to the pink wire on the loom?

The new Thor speed converter doesn't have a kph out, unless it's the purple wire that isn't mentioned in the instructions at all.

So I currenly don't have anythng connected to the pink wire of the loom so no signal going to progressive power steerting.

Also I have a Blitz SBC-id power meter which takes a signal from the pink wire off the loom, so this isn't working either now.

Can I simply join the blue(red stripe) input wire from the speed sensor to the pink wire on the loom?

I can only tell you what we did, and we didn't do anything at the ODO at all because I wanted that to stay in KPH (therefore I can't help with this bit and I think the process may be different if you wanted to change the ODO to MPH.) This was our process as discussed with Pete at Thor and stevie_B here who was a massive help. I would advise to get in touch with Pete at Thor if you have further problems, though.

As I said before, my car is running sweet, fixed the OD flashing light error and also is now running within a 2mph of the correct speed as per GPS. Haven't had a chance to check if the delimiting part as worked yet :blink:

Basically this is what we did with the Thor installation:

Cut the blue/red stripe wire coming from pin 5 of the blue plug. Attached the blue wire from the Thor (prev white wire on old device) to the plug side of this cut cable. Attached the grey wire (prev green) to the loom side of the cut wire.

Spliced the red wire into the yellow wire coming from pin 4 on blue plug (this is as per the Thor instructions).

Spliced the black wire into the red wire coming from pin 3 on blue plug (this is as per the Thor instructions).

Extended the brown wire (prev yellow) down to the ecu. Cut the pink wire on the ecu and attached the brown extended wire to plug side of this cut (taped off the loom side of cut pink wire).

The Thor had a sixth wire which is purple. The instructions made no mention of this so we taped the end and ignored it.

Hope you get sorted.

:)

The speed converter is in and working perfectly, and I followed the instructions that came with it just like you did tho my odo is in miles.

Part of the problem is that my old unit was wired in stangley.

My auto gearbo used to not upchange in kickdown but is now working perfectly so I know the problem was from my old converter.

My blitz power meter wasn't connected when I got the car so would be nice to get it working, but just need a speed signal to it in km/h. Maybe I can connect it to the blue/red stripe wire which is the input signal.

I'll pop to Thor this week some time if I get a chance.

Looking at the old thor speed converter diagram, without a kmh signal to the pink wire I'm guessing my progressive power steering won't be working properly.

• 3 months later...
Guest viperdgts

hello guys, after hours and hours of searching i'm still stumped. my problem is the speedometer dont work, i first thought the problem was the speed sensor. but after hours of thread searching now i'm concerned its a speed converter issue or dry solder???? its a 94 tt 6speed if that helps!

• 3 months later...

I'm stuck at the minuteimage.jpgimage.jpg

My speedo works and reads in mph

Just the speed limit is still restrained it only goes to 120 (guessing 112 actual) and can't go any faster

The seller said it had been delimited and speed converted so I'm stumped

Don't know why the Dark pink, grey and yellow wires on the White connector of the Speedo cluster have been spliced and connected to the back of the cluster as in the pics ??

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I'm stuck at the minute[ATTACH=CONFIG]164432[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]164433[/ATTACH]

My speedo works and reads in mph

Just the speed limit is still restrained it only goes to 120 (guessing 112 actual) and can't go any faster

The seller said it had been delimited and speed converted so I'm stumped

Don't know why the Dark pink, grey and yellow wires on the White connector of the Speedo cluster have been spliced and connected to the back of the cluster as in the pics ??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]164429[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]164430[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]164431[/ATTACH]

The delimit function would normally be wired into pin 2 of the ECU (in the passenger footwell). I think you've got a photo of the ECU there but I can't see if the wire going to pin 2 has been modified. Trace that wire anyway, and report back what you find. :)

The delimit function would normally be wired into pin 2 of the ECU (in the passenger footwell). I think you've got a photo of the ECU there but I can't see if the wire going to pin 2 has been modified. Trace that wire anyway, and report back what you find. :)

Yeah that's what I was thinking about nothing being there in pin 2, am I right that pin 2 is the on the far right clip ? :)

I will do that mate thanks :D

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Steve this may be a silly question but I will ask it anyway, I currently am having issues with my speedo not working and my engine light coming up with a code 42 error.

I plan to remove my speed convertor (not sure of brand) and set it back to orginal, the converter has 4 cables coming from it

Black

Red

Yellow

Gray

Black going to Body (ground)

Gray is going to a red/blue cable into the blue connector block (thick red going from here to the ODO block to red/blue)

Yellow from converter is going to Red/Blue (brown connector block)

Red from converter goes to a yellow cable into the blue connector block

thanks

When I remove the converter do I need to join the red/blue cables up?

Hi Steve this may be a silly question but I will ask it anyway, I currently am having issues with my speedo not working and my engine light coming up with a code 42 error.

I plan to remove my speed convertor (not sure of brand) and set it back to orginal, the converter has 4 cables coming from it

Black

Red

Yellow

Gray

Black going to Body (ground)

Gray is going to a red/blue cable into the blue connector block (thick red going from here to the ODO block to red/blue)

Yellow from converter is going to Red/Blue (brown connector block)

Red from converter goes to a yellow cable into the blue connector block

thanks

When I remove the converter do I need to join the red/blue cables up?

Hiya,

I can't tell for sure what the answer is, without taking a close look at what you're looking at, but I'd be pretty certain you won't want to be joining two differently coloured wires together. Have a bit more of a poke around and see if you can find both ends of each OEM wire. - i.e. matching ends, ones with the exact same: core colour, colour of any stripe, and colour/number/spacing of any 'rings'. e.g. you might have a red wire, with a blue stripe running along the length, and 3 silver rings every 2 inches.

Hope that helps.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but being a complete newbie to these cars and having bought one with an obvious problem with the speedo convertor, ie. it only reads 2/3rd of the actual speed, displayed 20mph is actually 30mph, displays 40mph is actually 60mph etc...

Found a guide on removing the dashboard now.

Other posts suggest as my car has a UK speedo fitted the convertor can be disconnected? I have had the car less than 24 hours so know nothing at present! It has a 180mph speedo...

Edited by bayside_supra (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

I'm after a little bit of advice. My facelift supra speedo reads in kilometres and the odo does too. I would like to keep the odo clocking up in kilometres but have the speedo reading in miles. Wasn't really fussed until the other day when the needle almost touched the odo trip button lol!

Thors website seems to be down. Anywhere else I can pick one of these up?

DSC_1009.jpg

Edited by Dazzi (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
hi Steve, please I need help for my supra odometer, can you contact me on this address please? [email protected] ... forum sistem Tells me that you can not receive private messages until you delete someone,

^ Because you've reached the maximum number of messages received

If you have a specific technical issue you are best posting a thread in the technical section, list specifics about your issue and what you have tried/done to resolve. You will prob get more assistance that way than PMing specific individuals. Also Steve Have not been on the forum for quite a while which explains why his PM box is full.