Views on the auto versus the manual gearbox

Dark Angel

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Slightly yes, though when you are driving a 3.0L Twin Turbo petrol engine you won't notice the difference.

exactly, these run of the mill wannabies :)

I get the impression that most Auto owners regret their decision (probably due to financial constraints) which is why they are the most vocal about it. :)

If all I am missing is the ability to wear out my tyres quicker, :think: I think I can live with that.

Okie dokie. I'm considering a manual anyway, or keeping the Rex. I am still persevering with my anti-rattle mission :D

Facelift 6spd manual VVTi + small/medium single (PHR Street-ish) + Syvecs S6 ECU + proper setup, will not give me any change even if I get a good price for the RX7 (£15k).

exactly, these run of the mill wannabies :)

I get the impression that most Auto owners regret their decision (probably due to financial constraints) which is why they are the most vocal about it. :)

Not at all! I just hate London traffic! I don't know how you drive a single manual everyday to work. If I lived out of London I'd get a manual, I'd prefer an auto but I'd consider a manual if condition of the car is good!

Plus auto's are quicker (did I mention that already) :D

Been driving it in london since 2004 and have personally clocked 67K miles :)

If the price delta between an Auto & Manual was negligible I wonder how many would still prefer an Auto ;)

imi

I'd still prefer an auto, drove an E92 M3 today, you don't get many modern manual supercars these days. Saying that my colleague managed to get a BMW X3 in a manual! I didn't even know they would do a manual version.

How many clutches have you been through that period imi?, I have to say I am mighty impressed though! That would have drove me mad.

It's not about driving to work, it's about when it's time to enjoy the car and IMO that can't be experienced fully with the auto box. I would never settle for anything less than a manual where the supra is concerned.

Super cars are full on paddle shift gearboxes. They are a far cry from automatics. Think of them as clutchless dogboxes.

Plus auto's are quicker (did I mention that already) :D

can tell the Honda is a manual then :p

I wouldnt want a six speed supra, I like the auto.

The only time I would have wanted a manual was when I went round Donington. You didnt get the feel of the track with the auto but how often do I track it, not much. I like the foot to the floor and go that the auto gives you while abz is missing gears and Josh is just............well Josh :D

seen a nice n/a 5 speed at a random garage in Derby today.... I was tempted H :D

Im having a double garage built in Oct so would have sat next to the TT

I am hoping to find another 5 speed manual with low miles. I will then sell the TT go back to driving like a cock to get any enjoyment.

Mrs H also preferred the NA.

H.

How many clutches have you been through that period imi?, I have to say I am mighty impressed though! That would have drove me mad.

RPS Street - lasted 37K Miles (brilliant Clutch, unfortunately the single was perhaps too much for it).

Southbend Stage 3 - currently 4K Miles.

• 5 years later...
Guest Mababalis

Hi i know this forum is kinda old but i have a quastion is it hard to change a auto to manual (im not talking about how to do it im talking about finding the parts and the price)

• 1 year later...

Thread revival?

Do many of you reading this still believe the same as many did in the early post of this topic. I for one have not driven a supra yet but the manual does seem better but I hear alot from this topic with experience that auto is better. Guys in the drag scene are also now days opting for auto boxes from what I hear locally.

I do intend fitting the auto to mine as the model I have is an RZ auto TT model but I now have a W58 and all the parts to boot bare the master cylinder which can be had new from Mr T.

My aim is to go auto till I can push the limits on it or get tired of it and will then go manual but whether W58, CD009 or BMW M3/330d box who knows. Maybe even a 6spd as everyone wants one end of the day.

I do own an auto AMG model car with the semi auto like the late model vvti supras were equipped with, and though it isn't a manual, its a lovely car to drive with its auto 722.6 box for its time.

I guess you cant write them off that easily even though they are old school technology.

I think as will always be the case is that for many it is a personal preference.

And this is because everyone wants and expects something different from their car.

I'm very much "old school" in that I enjoy the involvement of driving and view auto boxes as falling in to one of two categories.

(1) lazy driving (in a non-derogatory sense of the term)

(2) as a 'tool' for obtaining the quickest acceleration or lap time (especially the sequential or dual-clutch variants)

For me when I drive a sport car or a powerful sports GT, I'm looking for a 3-way connection between driver, car and road. There is no lap time to be obtained on the road and I'm not wishing for a computer to perform a gear change for me. But of course for others, their focus may be on pure 0-60 times at the expense of removing the driver connection. Or it maybe that they do a lot of town driving and are wishing to have a computer perform the gear changes.

The best practice is to go out and experience both gearboxes and decide firstly how you want your connection with the car to be and then judge how good either the manual or auto-boxes are in delivering that expectation.

p.s.

Having given a 'balanced' reply above, just have to finish with saying that having experienced both auto and 6-speed manual gearboxes on the Supra, the 6-speed is by far the best box for the Supra given its weight, power and gear ratios.

I drove mine for a few years as a daily driver and then later on as a weekend toy and occasional track car at the Nurburgring etc. - not once was I wanting my control over the gearbox removed in preference for a computer ;)

But I would say though, that as power increases above 600bhp it means 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears go by in very quick succession, and a manual change can become too over worked if you are on "max. attack" - this is when I'd say many would be thinking of an auto-box to help them out. But then nobody is forcing you to go max attack ;)

Nice response mate. I appreciate it. Yeah I always viewed an auto as a car for a lazy person and I felt it in the opposite way that you mentioned it. But I see with traffic on high ways, it seems practical especially after a long day at work. However I also feel that it is better to have driver involvement. Will see what I do as time goes by. Car is still far from being completed.

Interesting thread, and just like every other aspect of Supra ownership, its personal preference :)

A Supra is a GT car not a sports car, an auto box suits it perfectly, and I love mine for it. Yes its a 98 so has the 'tiptronic' buttons but I rarely use them mainly because of the 3 speed and the gaps between the gears are quite big.

Ive always maintained that moving a gearstick does not equate to driving nirvana, and I stand by that. In my opinion of course

I had a first drive in a Supra Auto only this week and was taken with how smooth the gear transitions are in general city driving. I own a 55 year old auto and a 10 year old auto car myself and they both are good drivers but for those lanes and fast B roads I'd take a manual out of preference for no other reason than gear changing when you time it spot on the sweet spot for engine and transmission in perfect harmony is a pleasure that you don't get involved with in an auto car.