Views on the auto versus the manual gearbox

Dark Angel

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got both. Personally, I'd say there's not much in it. The auto is a nicer car to drive, and doesn't select the wrong gear, (which is easy to do in a manual).

I've got exactly the same modifications on the manual as I had on the auto, but as yet, I've not been able to do any timed speed runs to see which is quicker... I'm of the opinion that the auto will be quicker unless your either an animal with the clutch and box, or a very, very good driver.

Manual (with uprated clutch) will hold more power than the autobox. However, you'll need to spend £10k+ on the engine before the autobox starts struggling. At that point, a few grand for an auto upgrade shouldn't worry you too much ;)

been done loads of times before, i bought first supra i seen as i got a good part ex. i dont think i would like to start over again now cars slowly getting there. would like the manual as i bet it would feel more of a drivers car. always get same with people looking down on car because its an auto. more fool them ;-)

on a roll it would be close. off the mark the auto seems not brilliant. but then the manuals dont do much better they seem to struggle with grip.

if i was starting from scratch i would look for a manual. but happy with auto. a torque convertor and maybe an uprated box like sp400 or something simular would be good.

best thing to do is take a test drive in both and make your own mind up.

I've never been a fan of auto cars, the Sup is my first. And I love it.!

No messing about searching for the right gear to get you into the power to do a quick overtake move, you also get 'manual mode' on the auto which is alot of fun and which I use almost all of the time (apart from dualcarriageway and motorway driving).

I suppost that you'd get used to finding the right gear in a manual when you need the power, but I found that when I was in a manual, the gear changes were very lumpy and the car jerks alot, whereas the auto is just so smooth and pins you permanently to the back of the seat!

:)

I have driven all types including the tiptronic, which was fun, but I was a bit concerned about future upgrades on the VVI engine.

As said by many before, with the same mods, there’s not much in it, the auto would probably have the edge. The manual feels quicker as you get on off power surges as you work through the box, where as the auto just gives an almost constant progressive push.

In a hurry I did find I had selected the wrong gear once or twice, when really going for it in the manual, and I know other members have had this in drag strip. For normal to fast driving I thought the box was fine.

I would have one of each if I could afford it.

:D

I've driven auto and manual (no tip tronic, unfortunately). It really depends on the driver. I adore my auto, the Supra is well known for being a damn fine auto box.

I'd suggest go and pay JIC a visit (http://www.japanese-car-imports.co.uk), they've got a wide selection of Supras for sale and will let you take them for a proper test drive (within reason:)). Get the feel of the cars, test drive a couple of each, and see which one you get to grips with the best.

I stand by all the auto owners here. It's damn fast, the power delivery is great, and the auto took my choice :)

-p

I think for 95% of the driving most people do the auto is better. There is the odd time you really want to play where I miss a manual - but those situations you'd probably want an Elise or the like.

Don't forget, an auto will kickdown as quick (and into the correct gear) as a manual can be changed, it just feels slower as you are not actually doing anything other than waiting. Psycology!!

• 3 years later...