The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help with oil leaks and oil in pipes !

ronzilla

Greetings from New Zealand !

I just bought my supra 3 months ago and a couple of weeks ago when I was driving I noticed a small amount of smoke coming out the bonnet.

I pulled over and found there was oil leak coming from the air intake hose ( the one that goes to the airbox ) dripped to the exhaust shield. Upon close inspection I found out the hose has multiple splits so I ordered a new hose.

So today when I pulled the old hose off I noticed some oil in the pipes.

Do I have to worry about this ?

The car does NOT blow smokes on idle or on acceleration whatsoever and its boosting as it should.

Any comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks !

20190831_122723.jpg

20190831_122718.jpg

20190831_122727.jpg

These cars are old and have usually been through a few owners by now so you probably don't have a full detailed history of the car which makes for more guesswork than anything. The turbo seals may be leaking but you say there is no exhaust smoke or they may have leaked in the past and the turbos then been repaired or replaced. It is unlikely to be excessive turbo bearing wear as you say the car runs well. If it were me, I'd just wipe away the oil, see if it looks fresh or has been there a while. Then reassemble and check it again in 1,000 miles or so. Then at least you'd know if its something or nothing. I personally wouldn't be too worried at this stage.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Thanks for the input mate !

Also I just changed the spark plugs before and I noticed one of the bypass hoses under the cover ( the rear one ) has been replaced with some straight hose which has been forced into a "Z" shape which completely kinked on the bends.

I'll order a proper bypass hose from Toyota on Monday hopefully it will help

Cheers

If it was really bad turbo seals then the oil gets down into the actual air box / air filter area ( there would be loads of it!). As advised renew the pipe and monitor, which you can do by popping out the air filter and looking for oil residue up the pipe ( now the new pipe is fully intact)