The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Classic car free emissions zone motoring in London

rider

The Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) and Low Emission Zone (LEZ) zones in London that come at a cost if you want to enter them in polluting cars has one notable exception, classic cars registered as historic vehicles are exempt for the ULEZ area and pre 1973 for all vehicles (including commercial) in the ULEZ zone. If I lived closer I'd love to rumble my 1965 Mustang around the centre of London with a smug look but I don't. This exemption could see the ownership of classic cars grow rapidly in and around London and drive prices even higher. Potentially more good news for Supra owners in 15 years time.

Historic vehicles

You can apply to stop paying vehicle tax if your vehicle was built more than 40 years ago. This date moves forward on a 40-year rolling system. Assuming the rules stay the same, when the ULEZ launches in April 2019, vehicles built before 1979 will be eligible to apply for historic vehicle tax class.

All vehicles that have a historic vehicle tax class will be exempt from the ULEZ. This tax class excludes any vehicle used commercially (for example, coffee vans or street food vans).

In line with the existing LEZ discount all vehicles registered before 1 January 1973 will be exempt from the ULEZ, regardless of commercial use or otherwise.

If your vehicle meets the above criteria and is registered in the UK, it is automatically exempt and you don't need to register with us. If your vehicle meets the above criteria but is registered outside the UK, you are also exempt, but will need to register with us. Details on how you can register will be available closer to the time.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

I read it also and there was something about having a modified show car too . Can't remember exactly what it said will dig it out.

Discount for showman's vehicles

Some showman's vehicles are eligible for a 100% discount from the ULEZ daily charge if they are registered to a person following the business of a travelling showman and have been modified or specially constructed. Trailers and semi-trailers which have been modified or specially constructed are not eligible for the 100% discount.

For a vehicle to be eligible for the discount, modifications or special constructions for the purpose of the show must be either:

Used during the performance, orUsed for the purpose of providing the performance, orUsed for carrying performance equipment, orUsed for displaying animals to the public, orBelow the chassis level, such that it isn't possible to fit emission abatement equipment

If your vehicle meets the above criteria, you need to register with us to qualify for the discount. (Vehicles that are already registered with TfL for a LEZ showman's discount do not need to be registered again for ULEZ). This applies to both UK and non-UK vehicles.

If you receive any other discounts or exemptions for the Congestion Charge you still need to pay the ULEZ charge if you drive within the zone in a vehicle that does not meet the ULEZ standards.

But this is more a business vehicle for fairs and such I believe

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...