The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The HKS FCD - is it that bad?

AC93

Hi everyone,

BPU'ing my stock Supra after a year of ownership and have ordered decat pipes, exhaust, fuel pump, boost controller. I recently bought a second hand HKS FCD and was looking through the install guide and couldn't help but read all the negatives about it ruining the voltage signal and that it was 'the worst kind'. Then other people say they've had it for x amount of years with no issues?

I thought most people on here running BPU have this unit fitted?

Has anyone actually had problems with it?

What other options are there for the stock ECU?

Or is it fine and I should just go ahead and wire it in? :D

Mucho Gracias,

IIRC people only use to say it was bad as it totally gets rid of fuel cut, unlike some others that raise the limit.

I had one fitted for years before I got the Mines ECU, never had a problem with it.

If that was the case why would it have the dial on it under the sticker to set it? There must be a degree of tuning on it with regards to raising the limit. Perhaps people who have issues have it on the wrong setting?

Not saying it's the best out there But there's been no issues with mine.

Mine is like the discontinued Greddy one. The MAP sensor output voltage is TOTALLY untouched until the clamp level. The HKS one is bizarre and whatever the clamp voltage is set to, it alters the MAP sensor output voltage, throughout the output curve. This changes the fuelling even when off boost, or on boost well below the cut off level. I was going to make a video of one on the test bench but decided I was no video maker in the end :)

Mine had a few niggles when I first got it, can't be 100% if it was all or some of the following, vsv's, hks fcd and electronic boost controller, but I'm happier now with CW's fcd, especially as now I've slightly upped the boost on the first turbo so fuelling is the last thing I want to be affected in the low/mid rev range.