SupraStar 3000

Just a quick question.

This weekend I want to fit my gauges.

For power I require:

12V battery wire

12V ignition on

12V lamp on

Ground

since the stereo is right above this unit, can I splice wires off the ISO connector which already have all the connections i need?

Ed mate, the 12V battery will retain the memory so that will be separate to the 12v ignition and 12v lamp which you can run from the same source. The use of a voltmeter will ensure correct identification of the 2 circuits

Try and 'ground' the wire to the 'circuit' ground wire (i.e. the -ve that's in the harness loop) instead of grounding it direct to the chassis.

Ed mate, the 12V battery will retain the memory so that will be separate to the 12v ignition and 12v lamp which you can run from the same source. The use of a voltmeter will ensure correct identification of the 2 circuits

Try and 'ground' the wire to the 'circuit' ground wire (i.e. the -ve that's in the harness loop) instead of grounding it direct to the chassis.

Different gauge, but I used the cig lighter as the 12v ignition and the astray light (easy access) for the 12v lamp. My gauges have both live and ground for the ilumination so connecting to the ashtray light means they dim with the rest of the lights.:)

cheers mate ;)

so whats the benefits of using the 'circuit' ground wire rather than 'chassis' ground?

There is only one final ground location on a car in terms of electronic circuitry and that's the -ve terminal of the battery.

If you have an electronic item that is fitted in to a standard car system (i.e. stereo wires in this case), then you should always use the same plus and minus to extract your source from as the electrical efficiency will be maintained in the same circuit.

Grounding to the body brakes the efficiency (only slightly) and that's why electronic firms normally insist that you use both circuit wires (i.e. +ve and -ve) to plum in their gadgets.;)

There is only one final ground location on a car in terms of electronic circuitry and that's the -ve terminal of the battery.

If you have an electronic item that is fitted in to a standard car system (i.e. stereo wires in this case), then you should always use the same plus and minus to extract your source from as the electrical efficiency will be maintained in the same circuit.

Grounding to the body brakes the efficiency (only slightly) and that's why electronic firms normally insist that you use both circuit wires (i.e. +ve and -ve) to plum in their gadgets.;)

Good advice mate.

I've heard that before (but forgoten it).

Makes sense.! Cheers dude