The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange sound...cambelt maybe?

supra_surj

Hi Guys!

On the way back tonight from our London run i started getting a strange whining / screeching sound coming from the engine. The steering got quite rough and I could feel a vibration in the pedals.

I stopped and looked under the bonnet. The sound appears to be coming from where the cam belt is.

Could this be the cam belt on its way out? The importer i got it from "apparantly" changed this last Jan but I have nothing in writing proving this.

Or is it something to do with the power steering? pump maybe?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Surj

Almost certainly your crank pulley has sheared. Get it checked/changed ASAFP

One member crashed his car when the pulley came off recently, due to total loss of power steering. Yours is probably just slipping at the moment but it could come off at any moment.

Also, the pulley can do a lot of damage (rad, fan, bonnet, etc) when it comes off, depending on revs and/or luck at the time.