The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Mileage

JamesRZ

How much can a supra take before things start to go wrong or need rebuilding. Im at just about to hit 100k and the turbos are starting to leak but the engine seems in good condition, was just thinking about swapping it for a lower mileage one if it is going to start costing money.

whats the highest mileage supra on standard engine and standard turbos?

When i look at ones for sale most with 100+k miles seem to have had an engine rebuild sometime in their lives?

Chris Wilson used to service one with 300k on it, still stock, just well maintained. There's a thread on Supraforums and about mileage, the US guys seem to clock up enormous miles without any issues (many are over 200k), even many of their single conversions are well over 100k

I have recently put a FMIC on when i took the old piping off found a load of oil in the pipes also have had oil spurting out of the BOV for the past 10k. Always change the oil & filter once a fortnight and then gearbox and diff fluid 6 weekly.

Thats pretty normal. The engines breather system feeds back into the intake tract so oil on the IC pipes is expected. So long as it's not running out of the BOV it shouldn't concern.

If it smokes on boost/long idle, then you have a turbo problem!

whats the highest mileage supra on standard engine and standard turbos?

When i look at ones for sale most with 100+k miles seem to have had an engine rebuild sometime in their lives?

You can't really think of a Supra as a Ford Mondeo. I have found that the people who own these cars actually love them, so engine rebuilds and general replacement of parts is done through want and not need.

oil is 7.40 for 5-40 sys and the filter 3quid, Costs me 15 quid to get the gearbox and diff done at the co-op in melton so not that expensive. Do loads of miles and terrified of breaking it!!!

Thats madness, unless you do massive miles! Are you using a suitable oil for your level of tune, and are you using genuine Toyota filters?

What are you using for diff and GB oil?

not quite more like 750 - 1000, I know its overkill but i dont mind paying for it and it wont do it any harm

thats throwing money away IMO. Just get some decent oil in the GB and axle and live in the knowledge it won't need changing for 3 yrs/60k miles. If the wrong grade goes in it'll kill it before you know whats happened.

Also, get a proper Toyota filter and high quality oil (Silkolene 10w50 is used by many here) and it'll last you 3-6k miles or 12 months.

These cost a fraction more to buy but will save all those garage visits and ensure you car is running properly. Nothing kills engine/boxs/axles quicker than having the wrong oil.

Chris Wilson used to service one with 300k on it, still stock, just well maintained.

Was that the UK spec one.. and if so was it still on its original turbos? ... like those used in the US.

Engine wise unless its been badly modified the block should be good for 150k easy imho.

Was that the UK spec one.. and if so was it still on its original turbos? ... like those used in the US.

IIRC yes, it was a completely stock UK spec. Never had the head of turbo's off. Same as many of those US ones (except most mentioned on that thread are BPU.