The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what the most bhp you can get out of twins?

D8MOA

say you have hybrids,full decat,front mount,uprated injectors/pump,and boost turned up?

can 500bhp be pullout out of the Sequential turbo set up?

is anyone on hear running that kind of power? any quater mile times?

500BHP is possible but there have only been 2 or 3 guys that have achieved that kind of power so far.

I am looking at the same desired power levels as yourself and I will be running the following kit:

Aeromotive FPR with larger injectors, Walbro and SAFC-2.

Turbotechnique 1.7 bar rated Hybrids.

Full BPU+ supporting kit (from de-cats, FMIC, DSBC-R etc etc)

256 cams

and AEM Wideband + a Greddy EGT to ensure safe running.

EDIT: Plus an auto box cooler for good measure.

Not sure on the quarter timings though mate but should be reasonable!

hmm ive bin in a single now and loved it but still love the twin set up, ide love to get as much out off the twins as poss! quater mile times say for a 500bhp twin and a 550bhp single shouldnt be that much diffrent should thay?

Not much difference due to the initial spool-up that is generated by the twin set up but I could stand corrected by the forum experts:innocent:

I've everything in place except better fuelling for a very good setup. Full BPU with Envy Stage 3 Hybrids, a newer built engine (well, only covered about 40k), FMIC, Boost Controller etc etc.

Only thing I need to do is get some 650's in there with an EMU, fitted and mapped and crank up the boost! :)

I have been thinking about this for awhile as well...

My car is going to start being built on the 26th of this month, so I should be an interesting test case.

My aim is 500BHP!

Heres the list of mods:

standard engine build, except for gaskets and bolts

hybrids

fmic

exhaust

induction

264/264 cams and gears

hks 680cc fuel system (rails, fpr, braided lines)

walbro fuel pump

clutch

flywheel

LINK fully mapable ECU

EDIT - Also done some other stuff like remove rear seats, changed front seats to light bucket ones, cf rear spoiler and cf side mirrors. Want to move the battery and water bottles to behind the passenger seat eventually.

So I am hoping to come bloody close!!!

My car is going to start being built on the 26th of this month, so I should be an interesting test case.

My aim is 500BHP!

Graham,

I would stick with the OEM cam gears to be honest mate as you don't really need anything else until really big BHP. Also, there is not much to match them for what you want.

Also, which Hybrids are you getting as people talk about Hybrids as if they are all the same spec and it is clear that some are better than others in terms of capability and durability.

It sounds like a good project though!

The whole problem you will face with using the twins, espec at over 1.2bar, is exhaust temp, which will in turn raise intake temps, therefor what horsepower you gain by turning the boost up (over 1.2) you will loose in the intake tempratures.

You will need water injection of some sort, or a very efficient intercooler if you want to see close to 500hp, which i dont think is possible.

And its not worth it to be honest, you may aswel bang on a small single, which will be much more reliable.

Graham,

I would stick with the OEM cam gears to be honest mate as you don't really need anything else until really big BHP. Also, there is not much to match them for what you want.

Also, which Hybrids are you getting as people talk about Hybrids as if they are all the same spec and it is clear that some are better than others in terms of capability and durability.

It sounds like a good project though!

Cam gears I got as part of the deal... And they look so cool!! Especially with my clear cam cover!

UK Spec turbos converted to hybrids, have all the manifolds and etc to fit them.

Will be an interesting project... but to be honest if I dont hit 500 its not a big deal... it will be more than powerful enough for some time.

I am also looking at getting the suspension, diff and traction/launch control done as well. But this will all be done after the build.

Not much difference due to the initial spool-up that is generated by the twin set up but I could stand corrected by the forum experts:innocent:

Well i'm not one of the experts, but I don't think this is entirely true for those with T67 and below sized turbos.

In a 3rd gear or above scenario:

The very low rpm (sub 2500) the twin will have more torque due to the turbo's actually doing something. Mid range (3200-4500) the single will have considerably more power. At the top end (5500) the gap closes again.

Obviously this doesn't hold true in the the low gears as the single doesn't spool until much later in the rev range.

Here's my favourite graph again which shows the difference in power between a T61 and a TT at 1.2 bar.

T61 vs BPU.jpg

It's the "easily reached" part I take exception to.

I got dyno'd at 480bhp with the hybrids on, pre-cam upgrade as well. I can't really take that too seriously now as it was a bunch of twats who did the RR and they tried to tell me my car was running lean etc. I don't think it could handle much about 450 tbh. I'd love to have got it dyno'd at SCA as I trust them (any dyno operator who gives you a 7% transmission loss goes up in my estimation and I've verified the power figure a few other ways since), but that setup on my car is looong gone.

Maybe it was squeezing 500bhp at the peak of the hybrid setup. Maybe somewhere between 450 and 500. It certainly wasn't slow! But compared to the single turbo at 1.2bar, prob about 550bhp, it was noticeably less manic.

So optimistically, then, a *decent* hybrid setup with big ducted FMIC, the right fuelling, cams, etc, can eke out 500bhp at 1.45bar of boost (just before efficiency drops right off and power goes south). But "easily" makes it sound like you can then wind it up to 600 or something. Nah.

-Ian

It's the "easily reached" part I take exception to.

I got dyno'd at 480bhp with the hybrids on, pre-cam upgrade as well. I can't really take that too seriously now as it was a bunch of twats who did the RR and they tried to tell me my car was running lean etc. I don't think it could handle much about 450 tbh. I'd love to have got it dyno'd at SCA as I trust them (any dyno operator who gives you a 7% transmission loss goes up in my estimation and I've verified the power figure a few other ways since), but that setup on my car is looong gone.

Maybe it was squeezing 500bhp at the peak of the hybrid setup. Maybe somewhere between 450 and 500. It certainly wasn't slow! But compared to the single turbo at 1.2bar, prob about 550bhp, it was noticeably less manic.

So optimistically, then, a *decent* hybrid setup with big ducted FMIC, the right fuelling, cams, etc, can eke out 500bhp at 1.45bar of boost (just before efficiency drops right off and power goes south). But "easily" makes it sound like you can then wind it up to 600 or something. Nah.

-Ian

Yeah, that's fair enough and I don't think anyone would argue with it. It all how you decide to understand "easily", it's easy if you have money to throw at it and a team of grease-monkeys.

I would be happy to get 420-450 on a decent twin hybrid setup.