The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RJ45 connector - what's it for?

jeremyh

Hi all,

Had a closer inspection of something that's obviously been fitted in my car before I bought it - an RJ45 or network point in my car on the passenger side of the dash. I didn't pay much attention to it before because I assumed it was an RJ11 (standard phone jack) and figured it was to hook up some kind of mobile phone to your sound system etc etc.

However, on a quick voyage of discovery this afternoon, there appears to be some black box behind my dash around the steering wheel area about 12" x 6" x 6" which has been cable-tied and there are a couple of orange fuses as well.

I ran a network test on the point using a packet sniffer and pins 1, 4, 5 and 8 are all connected and return a positive connection.

Does anyone have any idea what this is for? :search:

Jez

Hi all,

Had a closer inspection of something that's obviously been fitted in my car before I bought it - an RJ45 or network point in my car on the passenger side of the dash. I didn't pay much attention to it before because I assumed it was an RJ11 (standard phone jack) and figured it was to hook up some kind of mobile phone to your sound system etc etc.

However, on a quick voyage of discovery this afternoon, there appears to be some black box behind my dash around the steering wheel area about 12" x 6" x 6" which has been cable-tied and there are a couple of orange fuses as well.

I ran a network test on the point using a packet sniffer and pins 1, 4, 5 and 8 are all connected and return a positive connection.

Does anyone have any idea what this is for? :search:

Jez

carputer?

This is what the socket looks like:

http://www.offspringtech.com/images/big/COUPL-RJ45.jpg

I tried to take a couple of pics on my phone, but it's dark and you'd barely see anything anyway. RJ45 sockets all look the same anyway (I work in network engineering so I've got a fair idea!)

No it's not beeping or making any sort of noise, I just can't work out what it is or why it's there.

Sorry! :sly:

It's difficult for me to get to - it's one of those bits of the car you have to get a part-time job as a contortionist to get to - but I can't see any writing on it (as yet).

Do you know if there is anything as factory that should have an orange fuse at the back of the dash around the steering wheel area?

Apologies for not making myself very clear :p

This is what the socket looks like:

http://www.offspringtech.com/images/big/COUPL-RJ45.jpg

I tried to take a couple of pics on my phone, but it's dark and you'd barely see anything anyway. RJ45 sockets all look the same anyway (I work in network engineering so I've got a fair idea!)

No it's not beeping or making any sort of noise, I just can't work out what it is or why it's there.

lol - you didn't click my link did ya buddy?