The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Disappointed!!! Is that all my car is worth?

Bill Prawn

My car has been on ebay for a week and after initial promising intetest (it had over 3600 views) it only made £5600

There were 38 people watching it but the last bid was on the 12th of Feb.

So it hasn't sold because it's certainly worth more than that and I'm not going to let it go for such a low price.

It was hard enough deciding to get rid of it but this feels like a real kick in the teeth. :(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would expect you to get more than that for it - unfortunately, I think the prices of Supra's are dropping at a fairly alarming rate. I bought my NA in October and thought I got a pretty good deal. However - just 4 months later, looking at some of the cars for sale, mine no longer looks like a bargain.

Ebay never gets the true value, i would see Ebay as a way of advertising the car rather than selling it. Have you tried Autotrader yet ? I guess its a case of playing the waiting game to sell for top price.

I would personally remove those brakes and return it to stock, it is only this community and a few others that will recognise the value of the brakes.

Is Ebay the right place to sell something like this? Most people are on there looking for a bargain (ie something for nothing), not to pay the 'going rate'.

Surely there are better places to advertise in order to draw a fair offer?

Just my $0.02.

Edit: Too slow.

Edit No 2. Agree, swap brakes with someone for a couple of grand and still get a reasonable price for the car.

Ebay is an auction site your never gong to get a real value there. As said before use it as advertising .

If anything it annoys me that people think they are going to get a good price for their car on ebay would you expect a real values if you put the car through British Motor Auctions "NO" so why think your going to get a real value from ebay.

I would expect you to get more than that for it - unfortunately, I think the prices of Supra's are dropping at a fairly alarming rate. I bought my NA in October and thought I got a pretty good deal. However - just 4 months later, looking at some of the cars for sale, mine no longer looks like a bargain.

What is yours Dave and what did you pay for it. You probably know that I was looking for ages and got mine after 4 months. It's ok saying there is a going rate but I wanted a bargain as I do with everything I buy.!!

The jury is still out as to whether I got a good deal anyway as with cars you can never be sure how good they are until you've had them a while.

H.

Take it to a show bud and put a for sale sign in the window and wherever else, that is were you'll get a good price and the right price for your car and sell it to the right person who know how much it's really worth, lots of shows on there way so good luck :)

Guest Phillw454
My car has been on ebay for a week and after initial promising intetest (it had over 3600 views) it only made £5600

There were 38 people watching it but the last bid was on the 12th of Feb.

So it hasn't sold because it's certainly worth more than that and I'm not going to let it go for such a low price.

It was hard enough deciding to get rid of it but this feels like a real kick in the teeth. :(

you wont ever get a good price for it on ebay, people on there want trade price and not forecourt. my mate shows his cars from his gargae on there, they barely make half what he wants for them but it gets them advertised.

eg he had a evo for sale at 8k, on ebay it made 4 reserve not met.

maybe trade it in at a garage or autotrader? buy cars on ebay, dont sell them:p

As others have said , its a bad time to sell.

I got mine ( 1996 TT auto ) off a trader in Decemeber for less than 6k, seeing what they are going for at the moment thats not as cheap as I first thought :(

You're right Mark. I flirted with the idea of a TT auto and I wouldn't have paid more than 6k either. The other problem is that modding is dead money. If a car has had work done you are very lucky if you can get people to pay "extra" for it.

H.

You're right Mark. I flirted with the idea of a TT auto and I wouldn't have paid more than 6k either. The other problem is that modding is dead money. If a car has had work done you are very lucky if you can get people to pay "extra" for it.

H.

That dead right, you rarely get anything or hardly anything back on the mods done.

If I was buying again I would get one which had had the money spent on it. I reckon if you got a std car, put ss exhaust , decatted, boost guage nice wheels etc, spent about £3k you would be lucky to get more than an extra 1k when you sold it.

I dont really want to spend any more on mine, still not convinced I like the auto, wished I had gone for a manual... I think I kidded my self when I got an auto, but at the end of the day an auto just does not give you that Driving pleasure and control

Reality check.

Let's be honest, these cars aren't worth as much as we would like them to be.

Most people just don't want (or can't afford) a 10+ year old 3 litre performance car so it's a buyers market.

The older these cars get and the more we get screwed and constrained by running costs and speed limits the less desirable they'll be.

After a few years, prices might recover as cars become rarer, but that's a long way off I reckon.

It's a sad fact, but a fact nonetheless.

DeeRZ' s got the right idea though. Take it to a show where a fellow enthusiast might appreciate it.

Reality check.

Let's be honest, these cars aren't worth as much as we would like them to be.

Most people just don't want (or can't afford) a 10+ year old 3 litre performance car so it's a buyers market.

The older these cars get and the more we get screwed and constrained by running costs and speed limits the less desirable they'll be.

After a few years, prices might recover as cars become rarer, but that's a long way off I reckon.

It's a sad fact, but a fact nonetheless.

DeeRZ' s got the right idea though. Take it to a show where a fellow enthusiast might appreciate it.

Think Ill sell mine quick and get a scooby before its tooooo late :D