The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Folding Mirrors!!

Havard

Has anyone had any problems with their mirrors. Mine had the problem when I bought it but I wasn't overly bothered then.

Only one of mine will fold in. The passenger side one is still but you can hear the motor operating. Is there some kind of device inside that may have been stripped or disconnected.

Also, how do you get the buggers off?? I plan to have a good look soon, but would appreciate a bit of pre work advice!!

H.

I have special fold in ones mate. My own bare rock hands operate them!

You lucky gits and your motorized accessories! :)

Thanks Greg!! I can always rely on a thorough technical answer from you!!;)

The hand operated ones need special people to use them!!:)

H.

I fixed a mate of mines the other day with a problem just like yours, while he switched it, I moved it manually until the gearing re-engaged. Works fine now. Try it.

I thought i might break it if I tried to force anything!!

I may give it a go. How did you do it? Did you try to manually fold it in whist your mate switched it go open etc?

H.

I cant see how the gearing can become disengaged since i've actually dismantled the entire wing mirror :blink: The gear box itself is a completely weatherproof consealed unit. It was probably sticky and u freed it, but it likely that it will soon stick again.

I cant see how the gearing can become disengaged since i've actually dismantled the entire wing mirror :blink: The gear box itself is a completely weatherproof consealed unit. It was probably sticky and u freed it, but it likely that it will soon stick again.

It wasnt a supra, it was a Pulsar, but assume the principle to be the same.. it deffo wasnt sticky.

How did you open it up mate? I am worried about doing more damage and needing a new complete mirror!!:(

Having folding mirrors is not the be all etc, but I like things that work as they should.

H.

its not worth the risk opening it up if u dont know what u're looking for.

whats actually happening with the mirror that doesnt work? does it actually move at all? twitch a tiny amount? and what can u hear when u flick the switch to fold the mirror, and duration of the noise u can hear?

its not worth the risk opening it up if u dont know what u're looking for.

whats actually happening with the mirror that doesnt work? does it actually move at all? twitch a tiny amount? and what can u hear when u flick the switch to fold the mirror, and duration of the noise u can hear?

I have just been outside. When you press the switch to fold them in or out the passenger side one twitches but doesn't move much. The drivers one folds in but the motor type noise does not stop. It is the same if you fold them out too. The motor will run and run. Tried to push the mirror out whilst this was going on but I it just sounded like it there were plastic gears meshing and grinding against each other.

I ihave to leave the button in a sort of middle position for the motor noise to stop!!

H.

Passenger side easy, motor needs replacing.

Driver side, weird! :blink: so you're saying the driver side will fold and retract back to original position, but the motor will carry on spinning at full lock regardless whether you fold or retract?

Try this.. when the mirror is folding, apply pressure to the mirror to the direction the mirror is folding, I think what u might find is that the mirror will stop rotating when u lightly apply pressure, but still hear the motor spinning, and when u release the pressure, the mirror will continue to rotate.

I bet the driver's side mirror has been clipped with another vehicle at some point, and snapped a bit of plastic which locks the mirror into position.

I am confused now Osso, the drivers side mirror is working perfectly. It's the passenger side one that is not. The motor in the drivers side stops when it folds but the passenger one seems to have no connection to the mirror itself and has no way of stopping!! The motor seems fine to me.

H.

Please try not to 'help' people any more :no:

Paul, dont try to force it. remove it and see if it is a worn part :)

How do you get them off. The mirror looks sealed??

When you push the passenger mirror back you get a grinding like the cogs are sitting away from each other.

H.

You've now just confused me too! :D

I thought you said that the motor on the drivers side will run and run, and u need to put the switch in the middle position for it to stop. which implies that the driver's side isnt working perfectly :blink:

Sorry Osso, I went back and listened to what is happening. Couldn't pinpoint where the noise was coming from. I opened the windows and the motor on the drivers side is spot on. You cannot move the mirror manually at all.

The passenger side one has about an inch of play in it. The motor will not stop when either folding in or out. This is why I have to put the switch ion the middle.

I now reckon its the passenger side that has had a clout!!

I need to know how to get inside it. I think there must be a part of the plactic gearing that is snapped!!

I could always just keep the mirrors folded out like everyone else and stop being so fussy!!:)

H.

If there is an inch of play on the passenger side mirror, then it does sound like it has a clout.

On the passenger side, just take the door card off, remove the speaker, and remove the skin to gain access to the cable for the mirror and disconnect it, until u get the mirror fixed.. then u wont have to fanny about with the switch.

while u have the door card of, i would personally be tempted to remove the mirror, 2 bolts from inside the door, and see whats going on.

If there is an inch of play on the passenger side mirror, then it does sound like it has a clout.

On the passenger side, just take the door card off, remove the speaker, and remove the skin to gain access to the cable for the mirror and disconnect it, until u get the mirror fixed.. then u wont have to fanny about with the switch.

while u have the door card of, i would personally be tempted to remove the mirror, 2 bolts from inside the door, and see whats going on.

Cheers Osso, this sounds like a lot of messing about. I take it the motor and gears are inside the door card and not in the mirror itself.

My next question is how to get the door front off. I have only had this car 10 days and have not done any work on it previously.!!

H.