The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange Noise when cruising with light throttle

silvershark44

Right I have a standard Jap Spec tt, and in the last month or so, ive noticed a strange noise coming from the rear of my car. Quite a quiet one though.

Basically this noise only comes on with light throttle, as soon as you get any boost you cant heard it anymore (either it goes away or the sound of the turbo's/ higher engine revs block the noise out).

The noise sounds like distant light machine gun fire, strange analegy i know but its true. Its a quiet noise, pehaps like an extremely quiet scooby exhaust sound?

Is this the sound the standard exhaust makes? Or is it blowing?

Is the engine misfiring? As you can tell, I have no idea.

Any ideas?

If you want to bring it round, I'll willingly have a listen to it for you, but it's virtually impossible to diagnose a noise from your description.

Saying that, I've just noticed you're in Lincolnshire, so it might be a bit far to come. ;)

I'm sure one of the closer members would be willing to listen to it for you.

Is this the sound the standard exhaust makes? Or is it blowing?

Get yourself under the car, somone else cover the tailpipe and check for it blowing, not to long though.

Is the engine misfiring? As you can tell, I have no idea

The engine would be lumpy, you would know if your engine is misfiring. At least the 2 times it has happened to me it has been like a brick through a window with a note saying who it is from, it was that obvious.