The mkiv Supra Owners Club

looking

Guest aquabilly

Guest aquabilly

hallo all...been scanning the forums the last few weeks or so.Hoping not to ask too many stupid questions and dredging up past threads...well...ahem..not much hope there!!

stick with me though.

As a starter, have boiled it down to ...BLACK!!So far, so simple.Thats rule number one.Just the way its got to be.

Number two.Manual.Well...i`ve read all the posts and heard all you guys giving the pros and cons.Appreciate all the effort thats gone into explaining everything. I just feel more comfortable with a manual...for the moment.

UK versus J spec....ummmm?? still open on that one.

Heres the deal.Kids flown the nest.Missus traded me in for an earlier model.Have a few pounds to get a real set of wheels.Last 10 years driving a Vauxhall Frontera tank.

Thats why I think.....`think` i said..I am looking at an N/A.Ok, its not turbo or anything but after a lifetime of driving family cars..

...ANYTHING is going to seem like a rocket.As far as I see it, the extra insurance (yes, debatable I`ve heard) and running costs lean towards an N/A.

Read a lot of the posts as well concerning quality...the year doesnt mean much etc.I can attest to that.My Frontera is dogged but others of the same year are pristine.I imagine the same analogy goes with Soops.

Theres the problem.As a newcomer, its very difficult to tell the god from the bad fom the ugly.

So, I am here to listen to you all and take on board your valued opinions.

Let the stramash begin..Looking for some constructive help to choosing the right model

cheers

billyboy

Welcome.

:D

I have an auto, second auto Ive had, I love it.

Always had manuals before .

Dont overlook the autos , they have a superb box without the worry of the cluch slipping as with manuals.

Autos are much cheaper too due to there being more about.

Go for a twin turbo, the insurance isnt much different but the performace is.Get an n/a now and you will probably be looking for a tt within a short time.

all the best

Hate to state the obvious, but try driving a few if you can - not sure how many there are up in your area, but if you can have a shot in a manual and an auto, and especially in both a TT and an N/A, then you'll have a much clearer view of what you're after and what you're willing to accept.

hallo all...been scanning the forums the last few weeks or so.Hoping not to ask too many stupid questions and dredging up past threads...well...ahem..not much hope there!!

stick with me though.

As a starter, have boiled it down to ...BLACK!!So far, so simple.Thats rule number one.Just the way its got to be.

Number two.Manual.Well...i`ve read all the posts and heard all you guys giving the pros and cons.Appreciate all the effort thats gone into explaining everything. I just feel more comfortable with a manual...for the moment.

UK versus J spec....ummmm?? still open on that one.

Heres the deal.Kids flown the nest.Missus traded me in for an earlier model.Have a few pounds to get a real set of wheels.Last 10 years driving a Vauxhall Frontera tank.

Thats why I think.....`think` i said..I am looking at an N/A.Ok, its not turbo or anything but after a lifetime of driving family cars..

...ANYTHING is going to seem like a rocket.As far as I see it, the extra insurance (yes, debatable I`ve heard) and running costs lean towards an N/A.

Read a lot of the posts as well concerning quality...the year doesnt mean much etc.I can attest to that.My Frontera is dogged but others of the same year are pristine.I imagine the same analogy goes with Soops.

Theres the problem.As a newcomer, its very difficult to tell the god from the bad fom the ugly.

So, I am here to listen to you all and take on board your valued opinions.

Let the stramash begin..Looking for some constructive help to choosing the right model

cheers

billyboy

You've just got to drive them and get inside to see what the condition is like.

You won't find a UK N/A. They're all twin-turbos.

You won't find a UK Manual in Black unless you wait a long time or pay a lot of money.

So, an N/A manual in Black it seems.

Maybe I'm starting to sound like some kind of walking advertisment, but the best you can do is to contact Jurgen or CJ and talk to them through phone - both are trusted traders and they will answer all your questions, also will probably source car you want :)

Just do search in Members list for them.

Insurance for NA and TT is exactly the same, some insurance companies do not even have NA on their insurance list! Thing about NA is that there is less parts will to pop, even if you will temporary lost your head and nail car to red zone :p It is not that quick as TT of course, but it should satisfy you completely after wagon.

PS. Congratulations with getting rid of woman - now finally you will start to count your money by yourself! -grins-

Guest aquabilly

Thanks again guys.Yes, I`ve seen a lot of talk about people getting n/a then wanting an upgrade as soon as.My point being that after years driving clunkers and jeeps even a "basic" model is going to seem from a different planet.And I`m not into mass speed either..quite happy keeping to the limits.Its more of a `love` thang.You just loo at a Soop and are smitten.I may not even drive it...just stare at it for long periods.

I`ve seen lots of insurance threads as well and the difference does not seem much.The general opinion seems to be that there is less to `pop` on the n/a and being as though I am not a speed or horsepower freak it just seemed a straight choice.Always willing to hear what others have to say first and thats why I am here.

Yes,Konio...have seen Jurgen and CJs names crop up often.Depends on whether I can wait or not.You know...when you get that itch...

There are a few for sale in Strathclyde..all silver and all auto.Nothing against the colour...black is my preference.As for the auto....I know everyones first thought is `no`..being as we were all brought up on manuals.But I would prefer a more involving drive and I dont need the "wall of speed and acceleration" which the auto drivers often quote.That may change though..ha ha.cheers the now.

Thanks again guys.Yes, I`ve seen a lot of talk about people getting n/a then wanting an upgrade as soon as.My point being that after years driving clunkers and jeeps even a "basic" model is going to seem from a different planet.And I`m not into mass speed either..quite happy keeping to the limits.Its more of a `love` thang.You just loo at a Soop and are smitten.I may not even drive it...just stare at it for long periods.

I`ve seen lots of insurance threads as well and the difference does not seem much.The general opinion seems to be that there is less to `pop` on the n/a and being as though I am not a speed or horsepower freak it just seemed a straight choice.Always willing to hear what others have to say first and thats why I am here.

Yes,Konio...have seen Jurgen and CJs names crop up often.Depends on whether I can wait or not.You know...when you get that itch...

There are a few for sale in Strathclyde..all silver and all auto.Nothing against the colour...black is my preference.As for the auto....I know everyones first thought is `no`..being as we were all brought up on manuals.But I would prefer a more involving drive and I dont need the "wall of speed and acceleration" which the auto drivers often quote.That may change though..ha ha.cheers the now.

Looks like you've done a lot of homework Billy. I would strongly advise that you try a couple of each set up ie Manual NA, Auto NA, Auto TT etc. I have just picked up an NA after months of looking. Although is has a lot going for it, I am now a bit concerned about the lack of power!!

I have never had anything over 150HP before and thought that 225 would be enough. It is those moments where you want to set off like a rocket occasionally that will disappoint you. It is always nice to have some power in reserve and you don't need to use that power all the time!!

I am still not sure if a TT would worry me with the maintenance costs tbh, but I would think long and hard about the drive and the power you need/may want once you have got used to it!!

H.

I proposed those 2 because they are representing 2 ways of dealing with Supras. Jurgen is almost all the time importing cars straight from Japan - you have to wait for your car - advantage is that usually those are really low mileage cars. CJ is your guy if it comes about buying car quicker and local - his experience in used cars trade and his obvious commitment to Supras will bring you nice, not trashed english registered Supra - only disadvantage is usually higher mileage, but it is not problem for car itself, it just lowering value of car if you would like to sell it later.

Guest aquabilly

thanks again guys.Ok, lets start to narrow it down a bit.first up the differebce between 5 and 6 speed boxes.Aye ok, cue funny comments... but I`ve never used a six.I wonder if its worth making that a factor when on the hunt.I do most of my driving on A roads and dont know how often I would get into sixth.And as a general query ,never having bought a car from a dealer...any ideas how much they `overcharge` on the window sticker so they can seem kind when they knock a few hundred off? As a percentage that is.Have seen this one and its a little more than I was going to pay for an N/A though I see its a facelift R reggie.

[email=http://www.mk-motorschesham.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=47557&pageid=1]http://www.mk-motorschesham.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=47557&pageid=1[/email]

any feedback welcome...cheers.:)

Have seen this one and its a little more than I was going to pay for an N/A though I see its a facelift R reggie.

[email=http://www.mk-motorschesham.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=47557&pageid=1]http://www.mk-motorschesham.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=47557&pageid=1[/email]

any feedback welcome...cheers.:)

mate i have the exact same age and model of supra (just in blue) and they are nice. However its a tricky one actually recommending it.........as a car alone its great but its the price really...........it has no bodykit and has stock wheels......not a problem for me and maybe you either but poor resale could see you lose out.....

Its been on the trader for a while now (was £8995) i believe at one point.......

worth a look and drive of i'd say............

Guest aquabilly

thanks for the `heads up` scooter....will bear that in mind.keeping all options open at the mo...thats the point of the thread...gauge opinion and boil it down eventually.!! thanks again.

billyboy