The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Autobox - Gear selection problem

the_host

My mate has an intermittent problem with the autobox on his J-Spec N/A Supra.

When putting the gear lever position to D (drive) the car does not move, however if you go from L into D then it works fine. It is an intermittent problem as somtimes it works just fine when you go straight into D.

I'm thinking gear selector cable problem:idea:, anyone else have any thoughts on this

Thanks

I had this problem as well. Only happenes once in a blue moon!

So I am told its some sort of electronic gismo off the box creating the problem, but I dont know more than this.

Perhaps one of the more technically minded can expand on it?

To be honest I have done nothing as it only happens once/twice a year and corrects itself. Trying to diagnose an intermittant problem like this is a mine field.

As its so infrequent and resolves itself I just put it down to adding character to the car ;0)

Guest dave bryant
:D i had this problem not long ago it was the speedo conversion chip sending a dodgy signal to nthe ecu i was pulling my hair out ready to change the box etc, change the chip for a thor that has solved all my problems :D :d :D :d

I have had an intermitant problem for a while with auto box but have now cured it with the well known code 42 fix.

Especially in changing from 1st to 2nd gear off a roundabout or sharp corner the change was erratic & just not right if you know what I mean. This got more frequent & happened from standing starts in traffic jams etc but was not consistant.Eventually code 42 warning lights symtoms started to occur over a period of months.

Did the fix & gear box problems disappeared. GREAT!

Mine is"nt derestricted or has a speed converter. Its the faulty soldering in the odo unit that creates a faulty buffered speed sensor signal to the ECU I believe.

Hope this helps some of you guys. I was convinced there was a serious gear box problem for a while.

Glenn.