The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New king of hot hatches

Dragonlady

March edition of car mag has done the largest group test of hot hatches to date:-

Mini Cooper S

Renault Clio 197

BMW 130i

Volvo C30 T5

Audi S3

VW Golf R32

VW Golf GTI 30

Ford Focus ST

Vauxhall Astra VXR

Seat Leon FR

Mazda3 MPS

Honda Civic Type R

And the winner was..................

Honda Civic Type R "To drive the new Civic Type R is to find petrolhead nirvana. It will be remembered as one of the true greats"

Was a very good read.

still hasn't been a better hot hatch than the ctr yet, i drove quite a few before i bought my two ctr's and loved them great cars for a fwd car but not in the supras class in any aspects other than taking the shopping home from the super market.... o and rear leg room :D

FWD's pah, shouldn't even be considered as a performance car option, it was designed to get as many people in as small a cabin space as possible :)

Small cabin!!! came up behind one of the new clio's the other day and thought how on earth can it be considered a small car looked as wide as mine.

I like Type Rs a lot. Haven't driven the new one, but would have had the old one over a lot of other hot hatches - Cooper S, VXR, Mk5 GTI, Renaultsport Megane or Clio. Focus ST was good, but the CTR is a lot of fun. Always dubious of car reviews in mags anyway, different people like different things. VXR got slated for too much power and crappy handling but I thought it was a hoot to drive, comfy and looked good. Bit like the hot Clios, never saw what the fuss was about apart from the Trophy spec, but the mags raved about them - and they're not all expert drivers that test them!

My Girlfriend has a Civic 1.6 VTEC Sport, and it's a really nice car to drive. I know it's not the Type R but it's very nice to drive seems to handle pretty well too.

I had a run in with a Renault Megane RS when I had just put a FMIC and a GT28R on my Rover Coupe Turbo. It was quicker than the Rover just, but I think I would have had him if I wasn't running actuator pressure only (6psi IIRC). Also had a do from the lights with a Leon Cupra R in the Rover. Pretty even from the start, my car just used to spin, he probably had some newer half decent form of traction control. But as soon as we were rolling I pulled away from him. For a £2.5K car I used to have some fun against some higher priced/exotic cars in that.

The best one was a BMW 750i or it could have been a 745i, had a do with him, pulled away from him. Then got back and found out those cars are about £60k or something stupid, made me feel great.:D