The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sticky steering on cold start

Cable

Ok I've got my Supra now and I'm very chuffed, however there is one thing that is bugging me. On start up from cold the steering is as if it non-assisted (very heavy), after about a minute of warming up you try and steer again and it kinda makes a 'clunk' noise and then everything is fine again I have power steering. It's as if something is stuck and when it's warmed up a little it loosens... Doesn't do if you turn it off and start it again etc.

Any ideas?

Neil

Not the PS Pump surely on its way out? How old is the car mate? I'm sure it's not as Jurgen is brilliant and he'd of had this checked out.

Perhaps as JonnyKnox said, the belt couod be slipping. It certainly squealed on mine until I had it replaced, but that was the crank damper.

neil was already aware of this issue and we only had 1 week to rectify this issue (from collecting car from docks then prep and deliver in 1 week time is not on or side) so we decided to take the car to mechanics and changed the fluid it help a little but on mornings when cold steering is still heavy for 30 seconds or so then its fine (we were told the pump is lazy and could last anything from 3 months to 2 years..)

so we advised neil of the problem as honesty is the best policy and told him to maybe put up with it for a while or change within the next few months.

Yep Jurgen, as mentioned above, I and many, many members here would never doubt your honesty and professionalism mate. Fair play to you for pointing it out in a proactive manner. Well done ;)

Neil, post up in the wanted section maybe mate for a new/sh pump just in case it goes soon! :)