The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can a Jspec owner check a part no.for me pls

ardasaliah

Can someone do me a favour-

Just need the part number for the ignitor on a Jspec. Its very easy to check- wnat to check if it the same as a UK spec.

The ignitor sits on the passenger side of the engine -on the suspension strut. The black box- size of a hand - has 3 plugs going to it---the numbers on the back.

can someone just read theirs and post it up here pls

many Thanks

I think the UK is 896122030 - and the jspec is 896122020-

Are they the same????? really need to know- my UK car is not producing any sparks.I have a jspec part on order but will be no good if it is not compatibale. ---Then i will not know if its the Ignitor that the problem.

Any UK spec owners around East London that can help?

• 3 years later...
This should help you

THE EPC after looking again, this is correct

TT J spec......May 1993 to Oct 1993.......89621-22020

TT J spec..... Oct 1993 to Sept 1997......89621-22030

sorry to dig up this old thread but can anyone confirm if these two igniters are inter changeable?? i have the 89621-22020 and can borrow the 89621-22030 to test on my car

What have you done? Tried to jump start the car with the leads round the wrong way?

Sounds like it but I was told that these igniters are prone to damage by jumping the battery normally. Didn't do mine any harm but it's a facelift Sept. '97 when the igniters changed; probably for this reason by the looks of it!

I seriously enquired about a silver GZ as my first MKIV in March last year and the garage owner said that as it had been sitting for a while, they had to jump start it and although it did run, it misfired badly and his mechanic stated that the igniters are a common problem in this regard, fwiw. :)

I then found a couple on ebay but they were sold before I could get his approval to buy one for him so I could test drive it. He was adamant that the igniter was diagnosed as the problem and also said that it could damage the ECU as well if you're unlucky. I can't see him reversing the polarity by accident. It's the excessive current of the two batteries he said, to paraphrase.

Obviously, if one is too low to start it, another shouldn't be excessive unless it's wired in series and almost doubles the voltage, (assuming 11.3v minimum surface charge on the flat), so who knows?

What have you done? Tried to jump start the car with the leads round the wrong way?

Sounds like it but I was told that these igniters are prone to damage by jumping the battery normally. Didn't do mine any harm but it's a facelift Sept. '97 when the igniters changed; probably for this reason by the looks of it!

I seriously enquired about a silver GZ as my first MKIV in March last year and the garage owner said that as it had been sitting for a while, they had to jump start it and although it did run, it misfired badly and his mechanic stated that the igniters are a common problem in this regard, fwiw. :)

I then found a couple on ebay but they were sold before I could get his approval to buy one for him so I could test drive it. He was adamant that the igniter was diagnosed as the problem and also said that it could damage the ECU as well if you're unlucky. I can't see him reversing the polarity by accident. It's the excessive current of the two batteries he said, to paraphrase.

Obviously, if one is too low to start it, another shouldn't be excessive unless it's wired in series and almost doubles the voltage, (assuming 11.3v minimum surface charge on the flat), so who knows?

thank you both, no i didnt put the leads on the wrong way around.following on from this thread, http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?236569-Car-not-starting-when-warm i believe the igniter to be faulty or at least i hope it is so if these part numbers can be switched on the cars then i shall find out soon.

I have used jump leads a number of times & nothing bad has happend. i always just plug it up + to + & - to - i never use the engine as an earth. One thing i do though is either have the helping car turned of while connecting leads or just use a new battery to connect leads to.