The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Low Oil Pressure

npotts

Friend of mine is having issues with his oil pressure light coming on at random intervals. There seems to be no real pattern to it he says, although it does stay on for longer when the car is cold.

Oil level is fine, only had oil change a couple of thousand miles ago inc oil filter, so he's asked me (as he has no internet access) to try and figure out the problem!

The light doesn't often stay on for more than a few seconds (sometimes 30 or so) and there is no strange noises or any other difference in the way the car drives. Seems odd to me.

Anyone any suggestions? Should he just check it into a garage or is there a number of potentially quick fixes to check out first? Oh, it's an N/A by the way if that matters.

is it truely random...............or does it take a fair while to go out on first start up and then maybe comes on more often at idle than during normal driving?

truely random could be the sensor? but if its coming on on cold start ups and idling it may be the sign of something alot more serious.........

is it truely random...............or does it take a fair while to go out on first start up and then maybe comes on more often at idle than during normal driving?

truely random could be the sensor? but if its coming on on cold start ups and idling it may be the sign of something alot more serious.........

Seems to be random. I've been in the car myself and it wasn't on at start up, a minute or so later it came on for about 20 seconds. Then again a few minutes later for another few seconds. Both times it came on we were cruising at around 30ish. Does this sound serious? Never had a problem with oil pressure myself so clueless to advise him!

Well it's serious if it actually is a loss of oil pressure.

I'd try replacing the oil pressure switch first, before I went into panic mode ;)

Oh ok, the actual light on the dash is that? Are they expensive? Hoping for his sake it's only that because he has had a catalogue of problems recently!

i'm no expert but a low oil pressure on start up and at idle is more the classic signs of a worn/tired/ soon to expire engine....

.......i'm not sure what could cause actual imtermittant oil pressure loss on the move.........but like i say i'm no expert.

The pressure sensor is in the engine block just below the aircon compressor (or at least it is on the TT)......a bit of a faff to DIY

btw what 'other' work has he had done?

if it random, try hitting the dash above light, the ribbon can develop a bad connection over time.

mine did, i shat myself and thouht my engine was fooked !

a bit of re-soldering and the jobs a good-un

lol, bit of the old "give it a whack" treatment should do the trick eh? I'll let him know that this could be the case (hopefully) :)

i'm no expert but a low oil pressure on start up and at idle is more the classic signs of a worn/tired/ soon to expire engine....

.......i'm not sure what could cause actual imtermittant oil pressure loss on the move.........but like i say i'm no expert.

The pressure sensor is in the engine block just below the aircon compressor (or at least it is on the TT)......a bit of a faff to DIY

btw what 'other' work has he had done?

Not a great deal, just an aftermarket exhaust and de-cat, think that's about it. Don't think he's done anything that could potentially affect the oil pressure though.

Thanks for the advice fella. Think the best course of action is to have a fiddle with the light on the dash to make sure it's working ok, then next step is to a garage.

Oh ok, the actual light on the dash is that? Are they expensive? Hoping for his sake it's only that because he has had a catalogue of problems recently!

Not the bulb on the dash, but the switch/sensor on the block that Scooter described the position of.

Intermittent oil pressure can be caused by a number of things including a partially blocked oil strainer or loose oil pickup pipe in the sump.

Before you start pulling the engine apart, you really need to be certain that the oil pressure is dropping.

As I say, change the switch first, its easiest. If it still does it and the engine isn't making any strange noises, you'll need to connect up a gauge so you can be sure what actually is happening.

Basically, as imi says, if you really don't know what you're doing, it'll probably easier and cheaper in the long run to take it someone who does.

And just FYI, I've never found that smacking hell out of the dashboard had any effect on low oil pressure :D

Not the bulb on the dash, but the switch/sensor on the block that Scooter described the position of.

Intermittent oil pressure can be caused by a number of things including a partially blocked oil strainer or loose oil pickup pipe in the sump.

Before you start pulling the engine apart, you really need to be certain that the oil pressure is dropping.

As I say, change the switch first, its easiest. If it still does it and the engine isn't making any strange noises, you'll need to connect up a gauge so you can be sure what actually is happening.

Basically, as imi says, if you really don't know what you're doing, it'll probably easier and cheaper in the long run to take it someone who does.

And just FYI, I've never found that smacking hell out of the dashboard had any effect on low oil pressure :D

Thanks man, can you advise me where the best place to get one of these switches from?