The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hybrid Turbos Questons

Glosphil

As lee mentions below, about his HKS Turbo Kit, here is what he suggests I would need to do to fit it. Anyone else add their opinions ? what would be a rought price of doing all this and who could do it for me ? and fit the turbo kit !

Is it worth doing ? or is there a better route ?

Im presuming it will be a lot quicker than going BPU ?

Is there a way to lay the power down better as I have trouble on anything but dry roads laying it down as it is.

Its not that bad to fit I did mine myself and Im not a mechanic, the hardest part is getting the stock twins off, thats a real PITA!

I already have the kit fully assembled on the manifold so you just need to slide it onto the head, the manifold bolts are tricky to get to but not impossible.

You would need at least the following mods to use kit.

FMIC

Piggyback or replacement ECU

Uprated Injectors 650 or higher

Uprated Fuel Pump

Full Decat

Uprated Clutch plate

With these mods you could run the kit fine and see good horsepower (550BHP) at low boost anything more and you would need cams, complete fuel system, complete twin plate clutch pack.

On my car these turbos made 500 at the hubs on 1 bar!

You need to realise first that the HKS kit isnt hybrid turbos!

they are a full replacement, and dont just 'up the power a bit' they will double the power, maybe a little more than double.

If you are considering BPU, then this isnt really the kit for you!

It would be a bit of overkill if you are looking for a little more power, hybrids can offer iirc around 450 - 500 bhp, this kit is rated a lot higher!

To put it in perspective, the choice between these and a set of true hybrids is like buying a fiesta to nip to the shops or an F1 car ;)

You need to realise first that the HKS kit isnt hybrid turbos!

they are a full replacement, and dont just 'up the power a bit' they will double the power, maybe a little more than double.

If you are considering BPU, then this isnt really the kit for you!

It would be a bit of overkill if you are looking for a little more power, hybrids can offer iirc around 450 - 500 bhp, this kit is rated a lot higher!

To put it in perspective, the choice between these and a set of true hybrids is like buying a fiesta to nip to the shops or an F1 car ;)

Oh dont get me wrong, I fully understand that, but I want something with some serious grunt, but not stupid like a big single. I want to take it to the pod in the summer, but also drive it on the road. I think I will very quickly get bored with BPU performance.

That doesnt really make much sense dude

You either have grunt or no grunt :p

Does to me, I mean I dont want to go silly power so its not usable on the road. 500bhp and 500 Torque would be fine me thinks. Maybe a bit more. But 1000+bhp would be overkill for me and I'd probably kill myself lol

Basically I want to get someone to do it for me, but dont want to pay through the nose so looking for the best route and this HKS kit sounds like it might be the best option since its cheap.

I've seen all these £600 quid XS Power single tubby conversions on ebay but they just have got to be rubbish...

depends upon how much cash you have spare mate, you can get hybrids (2nd hand) and have them installed for less than a grand.

your looking at 5k if you want to do these turbos properly, not only do you need a new ecu, you need a decent fuel system, clutch or stronger box, better intercooler etc. These twins will be good for 700bhp with the right fueling and management. Do you really want that much?

If your struggling with gettin the power down already you need to check your suspension etc setup, aswel as get decent tyres, im running a single and id say yu need 275's on the arse end at a minimum. if you had lots of cash a trd rear diff would improve your grip no end

This kit will cost you around 1-1.5K to have installed but you need to seriously consider all the other parts to compliment them.

Im currently building up my Gt2835 twins and have spent I guess around 7K or so on top of the kit price in fuel/cooling/cams/intake/ems etc (wife will probably kill me when she realises..).

Good luck, HTHs.

You are barking up the wrong tree with the hks twins, they are good turbo's and the price for the kit is excellent, if you are looking at 600-700 hp then they are the ones, but you will also alot more cash then just a £5000 budget for these babies to work effectively. A clutch that will hold this power will set you back about £850 alone . you should look at a small single for 500-550hp.