The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this Supra a good buy ?

Rory

Hi Folks,

I'm very interested in a supra thats come up for sale here, I was wondering if you guys would be so good as to tell me what you think of the price?

Its a 1998 R 3.0 N/A Auto in black. Its done 60k miles, has some sort of 18" alloys ( dont know what type sorry ). The asking price is 4500.

Does this seem a pretty good buy?

Thanks

Rory.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Folks,

I'm very interested in a supra thats come up for sale here, I was wondering if you guys would be so good as to tell me what you think of the price?

Its a 1998 R 3.0 N/A Auto in black. Its done 60k miles, has some sort of 18" alloys ( dont know what type sorry ). The asking price is 4500.

Does this seem a pretty good buy?

Thanks

Rory.

That is very cheap! Where is it advertised?

Thanks for your quick replies :)

Its a car an accquaintance is selling, hes had a good few jap performance cars. I was also a bit wary of the price as I thought it was pretty low but Im going to have a look at it tomorrow and have a wee drive.

Is an auto NA worth less than manual ?

Does anybody have the tech specs on power and torque, 0-60 etc etc for me?

That is a cheap price and yes auto's are 'worth' a bit less than a manual o though I dont know why because the auto box on the supra is amazing, its not like your avarage ford auto, its actually reponsive and nice to drive, I gues it may be because manuals are more sought after. Have a drive and see if you like it.

Where abouts in the Strathclyde area are you from?

I will try to make sure its a 98.

I dont have any pics just now but will try to get some. Going to see it tomorrow so fingers crossed its a good one. If so Im having it :)

Do you know if there is anyone close to you who has experience of Supra's? If so, my advice would be to take them along ;)

I will try to make sure its a 98.

I dont have any pics just now but will try to get some. Going to see it tomorrow so fingers crossed its a good one. If so Im having it :)

Get a pic or take down ALL the details of the VIN tag on the driver side wing. This can then be decoded to ensure the car matches up.

Is it me or is something not right here?? I have just paid 5k for a 96 facelift manual and couldn't get a facelift auto for that price. If a 98 Auto was available for 4.5K I would snatch his hand off but I think there is something a miss here.

When is a deal not a good deal?? When it is far too fucking cheap!!:blink:

H.

Its cheap but then bargains do come up from time to time. Def worth fully checking out, starting with the VIN check, if that works out then its the bimta check...

I know of a low mileage black UK spec 6spd that was bought for just £7k 3 years ago (When a jspec cost £11-13k). It was a mint one too and is still owned by the same forum member.

Well I went back and dealt with him for 4400. Pretty pleased with that I must say. It needs a good clean up but as I work in a car wash and valet centre thats not a problem lol

He said the timing belts been done - now I dont think he has a receipt for this so I cant be sure and I'd have to do it if theres no proof.

Can anyone tell me what mileage the belt is meant to be replaced at ?

Well I went back and dealt with him for 4400. Pretty pleased with that I must say. It needs a good clean up but as I work in a car wash and valet centre thats not a problem lol

He said the timing belts been done - now I dont think he has a receipt for this so I cant be sure and I'd have to do it if theres no proof.

Well, if that is all that it seems, then you have had an absolute bargain! ;)

its 60K or 5yrs............

just to make you feel a little more at ease............nothing catastrophic should befall your engine if it did go, you just have to fit a new belt.......it doesn't mean you shouldn't look into if it has/hasn't been done it just means you don't have to be paranoid about it during the first few weeks of ownership.......

How many times have we got to ask for pictures dude!! ;)

I know of a low mileage black UK spec 6spd that was bought for just £7k 3 years ago (When a jspec cost £11-13k). It was a mint one too and is still owned by the same forum member.

Shit the bed, how happy must that guy be? He could still sell that now and make a couple grand profit.

As for your car Rory, sounds like you had yourself a bargain there dude. Providing it is a '98, as already said post up a pic and all will be confirmed.

Oh and welcome to the club fella. :)