The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Group Buy Request - Custom Speaker Brackets

Sheefa

THESE ARE FOR THE FRONT SPEAKERS SO YOU CAN FIT 17CM COMPONENTS. ;)

Mods & all,

I wish to put in a provisional request for a Groupbuy please Mawby and Co for some custom made speaker brackets. However, I'd like to gauge the interest on these first if possible please?

I have spoken to a few companies including, IPS Woodworkers, Finishing Touches Ltd, Gilson & Son and other woodworkers about undertaking this work. Also posted up a request here:

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14622

Hoping for around 30 people + who want some of these custom brackets, but with your permission I'd like to check before I give the manufactuers and confirmation to build these.

Can I post up a list of potential buyers here please?:) If this is acceptable, can all those interested please state your name below. Not sure on pricing yet, but I'll find out soon enough.

Thank you.

Greg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm real interested, the guy before me bought a lovely set of phoenix gold 5 1/4s, most people seem to uprate to 6" (17cm) if the could do a set with 13.4 cm 'holes' then im in.

1)Sheefa

2)Stevie_b (Steve)

3)m45sey

4)Chris and Alana?

5)Toyo Rob - depending on size

I doubt that's a problem Rob. However, I don't want people to start specifying 'custom' sizes as then it takes the 'group buy' out of context mate :)

I have found 3 potential suppliers who are looking over the designs next week. Need 30 people though as a minimum.

Thanks,

Greg

UPDATE::::

Guys, looks like one supplier has won the pricing vote! :D See below:

I drew up the outlines over the weekend and fed the data into the costing. In batches of 30 to 32 the unit cost, raw, unfinished, machined in 6mm MDF is just under £2.10 each + carraige, although that price is volume dependent and there might be a set-up charge depending on the total quantity taken.

The same item in MR-MDF would be approximately £ 2.25 each. Going to ABS or acrylic would increase that price significantly, therefore the expected lifespan needs to be taken into account

BTW, did you get my previous email? There is no spec. for the "mounting ring" which sits atop the shaped base plate, do you need this to be quoted as well?

Not sure on the total price including postage - he's working that out today. However, we may have an option to use ABS or polycarbonate material which are more suitable. He believes that using acrylic (Perspex) is not a wise choice as his experience from manufacturing point-of-sale stands is that it has a tendency to craze when subjected to the heat-chill-heat cycles you expect

on, say, the parcels shelf of a car, especially when additionally exposed to UV.

So, please update the listing and state whether you are interested in sdimple MDF or a more aleinlike material! :)

Thanks,

Greg

1.Sheefa - MDF (possibly ABS dependant on price)

2.Stevie_b (Steve)

3.m45sey

4.Chris and Alana?

5.Toyo Rob - depending on size

6.Jake

7.Ant

Guys, yes they will be made EXACTLY to Robs template but with 180 to 148 diameter rings in 18mm thick material. They will be a perfect fit.

Flip, that's right mate. They simply screw into the door bracket inside the door cover and allow you to mount 17cm speakers on the rings which will be affixed to the mounting plates. You can also keep the stock speaker covers as I believe they are 17cm anyway or more? Certainly not 10cm in diameter anyway. :)

SupraJames - people may still be interested mate. But I'd like to get a confirmed group buy on these please! ;)

Hey Sheefa, that's great, thanks for the update - put me down for some! I'll go for MDF I think, unless the others are popular and reasonably priced:-

2.Stevie_b (Steve)

3.m45sey

4.Chris and Alana?

6.Jake

7.Ant

8.Flip (MDF)

Great idea Greg! You could probably flog these on ebay at a tidy profit too!

2.Stevie_b - almost certainly MDF

3.m45sey

4.Chris and Alana?

6.Jake

7.Ant

8.Flip (MDF)

9. edd_t

10. ~Rob~

11. Johnnyknox - MDF (possibly ABS dependant on price)