The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DeCat fitting help.

carl0s

I just had a brainwave and decided that since I'm doing nothing, I might hop under the car and fit my 1st DeCat.

I want to know if that's likely to be possible though. Does the 1st decat pipe bolt right up towards the turbos, or is it fairly flat horizontal under the car? I don't want to jack the car up and throw my far-too-small overalls on if it's going to be a PITA. GF's mum's hubbie has a ramp in his garage but we're both too busy ATM for me to get over there (it's in Wales..)

Just jacked the car up and took a look.

Unless I'm being a bit thick, the first cat goes right up towards the engine and isn't even very visable. The end of it comes out just above the main crossmember/jacking point. It also has what looks like an O2 sensor bunged into it.

The decat pipe I have bought doesn't have a hole for the O2 sensor.

Is something not right?

;) Hey up Carlo,s ...........you need a LONG extension for the Three bolts connecting the cat pipe and the Turbo exhaust bit thing ( technical talk there ;) ) they will be Tight as !! so be careful not to snap or strip the bolts etc ........mine came off ok :innocent: ............you can see where you want to be by looking down under the turbo,s from the top just as an idea to how far you have to reach up from underneath :blink: if that makes sence LOL

You coming to Masgrat on Monday ??

Cheers

Ian

;) Hey up Carlo,s ...........you need a LONG extension for the Three bolts connecting the cat pipe and the Turbo exhaust bit thing ( technical talk there ;) ) they will be Tight as !! so be careful not to snap or strip the bolts etc ........mine came off ok :innocent: ............you can see where you want to be by looking down under the turbo,s from the top just as an idea to how far you have to reach up from underneath :blink: if that makes sence LOL

You coming to Masgrat on Monday ??

Cheers

Ian

D'oh. So it's as I feared - right up to where the turbos are. The second decat would have been a piece of piss.

Is the "turbo exhaust bit thing" (that'll be the flexible pipe bit then) threaded or something, so you don't have to get someone to hold a nut on the other end?

Masgrat.. quite possibly :D I'm working in Ilkley on Monday which is a bit of a bitch to get back from, so have to see how it pans out. Would be nice to go though and see some more fancy cars and friendly people again :)

So you just tie the o2 sensor out of the way - it doens't need to be fitted into the decat?

:) You dont need to have someone above "holding the nut" its three bolts that hold it on and threaded so no problems there :rolleyes: ................dunno about the O2 sensor mine had a bracket thing ( more tech talk ! ) for mine, so cant help you there matey ...but im sure someone will be along to clarify if you need it ?

Great stuff will be good if you can make it think theres going to be a good turn out ;)

Cheers

Ian

Is the "turbo exhaust bit thing" (that'll be the flexible pipe bit then) threaded or something, so you don't have to get someone to hold a nut on the other end?

No it has studs which go into the turbo downpipe so all you have to do is take off the 3 nuts. No need for anyone/thing to hold the other side. Id use some penetrating fluid first to and then try and loosen them as you may snap or round them and then your buggered.

No it has studs which go into the turbo downpipe so all you have to do is take off the 3 nuts. No need for anyone/thing to hold the other side. Id use some penetrating fluid first to and then try and loosen them as you may snap or round them and then your buggered.

I bet it's going to be a bastard to get the bolts lined up and back in again.. hmm.

i've got a lovely bendy extension bar though.. ;)

http://www2.css-networks.com/bendy.jpg

Oh god, i can see it all going pete tong, cant you take it to a place with ramps and get help?!

Was gonna suggest that, unless you have a neck and arms like E.T. its best if you get it up on a ramp just in case. Oh and your gonna need a bigger bar/rachet then that.

That will be the Temperature sensor in the 2nd cat your talking about. When you replace that cat, just tie it up out of the way, it isnt needed.

It definately looks like it's in the first cat to me.. sorry about the picture quality.

http://www2.css-networks.com/sensor.jpg

I really need to get another decent mini-camera.