The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My E-Mail to the Jap Performance Mag Editor

SupraAyf

Guys,

I have just sent this e-mail to the editor of Japanese Performance Magazine.

And no, I'm not bored, but I just wanted to know JP's reasoning for categorising the Supra lower than all the other cars mentioned.;)

Regards all,

Andrew

----- Original Message -----

To: [email protected]

Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 9:38 AM

Subject: JP's Rating For Supras - What has gone wrong JP?

Reference: 4-Star Jap Performance Magazine Assessment of the Supra MkIV

Dear Chris,

I received the new copy of JP yesterday and like all of the other previous issues of JP Mag, I have to compliment you on the content of the publication - or at least 99% of it!

The only big disappointment for me relates to the JP Jap Data section (Page 112 & 113 refers), where you guys have categorised the Supra as a 4* machine only. It is very apparent from your Data Section that 'Toyota' is the only 1 of the 6 leading manufacturers mentioned to fail to achieve a 5* rating for any of its model types.

I am a real keen Supra fan and I can't see how the likes of the Skylines, RX7's, Impreza CHAV mobiles, Evos and Integras/Civics all achieve 5* ratings when the Supe can often run circles around them!!

Any manufacturer can take a car and add 100 computers to make it go better (like the Liners) but the Supra, albeit technically advanced in many areas; wins its reputation through sheer power, tuning ability and style.

Perhaps the guys who assessed the JapData section should take a look at this area again as I genuinely believe that the Supra should be up there with the likes of the cars mentioned above! An explanation would be great as to detail the reason why the Supe is second to all of the cars (plus others) mentioned in this e-mail and also in the JP Data Section.

Thanks Chris,

Andrew

I have just received this response from Chris, the editor (quick eh!!):

----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 10:17 AM

Subject: Re: JP's Rating For Supras - What has gone wrong JP?

Hi Andrew

Many thanks for your email.

We plan to reassess all our ratings on a regular basis. I certainly take all the points you make. And the fact that the Supra is one of the most tuneable cars on the planet also plays in its favour, of course.

Kind regards

Chris Rees

Editor

Japanese Performance magazine

I like your email the response is a bit vague but lets face it the only real cars mentioned were the RX7 Skyline and supra the others were just to retain readers and of course i would put the supra top.

Supra 6*

RX7 5*

Skyline 5*

Evo 4*

Subaru 3 1/2 *

Integra 3*

Civic 2* (is an old mans car or a kid who can't afford a supra but is saving hard)

Why do people also seem to assume a supra doesn't handle that well or not as good as say a skyline it's beyond me, i can't see why they haven't gone out and test drove a stock mk4 supra agianst all the other cars stock for stock :Pling: can someone please show them the two best motoring vids of the mkiv supra clearly beating the r33gtr and the r32 gtr skyline and other damn good cars, hell ask the people that have own both and get a proper opinion or from someone who knows better like a pro :Pling: again if you read of reviews out in both japan and the u.s as jap imports go the mkiv supra is regarded constantly one of the best cars the jap scene has released, forget about looks we know the car is stunning lets look at the things people seem to forget with supras build quality, chassis dynanmics both in handling grip lap times on circuits the facts and specs are out there and the supra is nearly always top on most stats, yes ahead of an rx7 which jp seem to favour and ahead of most if not all the others.

some good points a supra may not have

wet weather handling (but thats a non brainer it rwd and has a fair bit of power even stock although there not that bad)

steering feel

rear passenger space

i'm stuck for anything else

4* :tongue: :Pling:

Hi Andrew

Many thanks for your email.

We plan to reassess all our ratings on a regular basis. I certainly take all the points you make. And the fact that the Supra is one of the most tuneable cars on the planet also plays in its favour, of course.

Kind regards

Chris Rees

Editor

Japanese Performance magazine[/color]

what a beauitful fob off

Maybe we Supra drivers just have more refined tastes. Evos are all very good if you want to blast around everywhere but I prefer Supras. Only driven GTS-T Skylines, but they're in no way better than a Supra. Ultimately who cares what mags say, we all know we're right [GRIN][/GRIN]