The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto owners.

Guest ROBT

Depends on how you drive really, but with the unpredictability of kickdowns, more people probably get caught out with Auto's, esp tt's 2nd turbo n all.

I disagree. How can the kick down be unpredictable when it is governed by you shoving your right foot down?

ive got the art of drifting from junctions nearly perfect:d took me a few sets of tyres but i got there only on a couple of occations it caught me out but nothing to serious as i aint going to fast:cool: i ws always saying id hate an auto supra but i have to admit i LOVE it:cool:

In my auto TT, progressively flooring the volume pedal will help get back end out especially when the 2nd turbo comes in. Really depends on road conditions, tyres and state of mind as well. So you can't blame it all on a torque converter if you stuff it on a roundabout.

People seem to think the auto kickdown has a mind of it's own. It is easily controlled with your foot, I have never had the kickdown occur at anytime other then when I commanded it to.

With regards to the original question. It is easier to get the back end to step out with the manual.

the problem with autos is the lack of engine braking, so its hard to save yourself when the backend steps out unexpected

I don't think so. I would say during a skid that makes little if no difference at all.

I did my skid pan training in an auto and a manual, and the method of regaining control was exactly the same, remove drive to the wheels. Engine braking doesn't come into it.

Just that it's not good practice to change gear while you're going around sharp bends as it can unsettle the balance of a car . Is this possible with an auto Supra? :)

The only time the car can change up is if you are accelerating. Obviously, this would be pretty stupid around a sharp bend. :) If you had slowed down before the sharp bend then it isn't a problem at all.

Have you ever driven the auto Supra?

The only time the car can change up is if you are accelerating. Obviously, this would be pretty stupid around a sharp bend. :) If you had slowed down before the sharp bend then it isn't a problem at all.

Have you ever driven the auto Supra?

You just have to accelerate a little for it to change gear?

I haven't driven an auto Supra but plenty of other auto cars though.

The point I'm making is that with an auto if you have it in "drive" you don't have full control to keep it in one gear, but with a manual car you do. :)

You just have to accelerate a little for it to change gear?

No, as Classone has already pointed out, the gear change is dependant on revs, throttle position etc. Of course, if you are stupid enough to rev through a sharp bend then yes, it will change up.