The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Keys!!

Havard

I have done a bit of a search and it seems that the Toyota keys are just normal keys for the ignition. I now have a 96 Facelift SZ-R and wondered has there ever been a chip or transponder in the keys. I am about to nip down to my local lock and key centre and get a "normal" key as a spare, is this ok??

The existing key operates the central locking but I had an alarm fitted yesterday so I shouldn't need it right??

Thanks

H.

they are indeed 'normal' keys mate.

the weird thing is my crappy Audi has a transponder thingy in it.....£25 for a key for a £700 car!! :rolleyes:

Yeah!! I must admit, I started this thread knowing the answer but wanted to be sure. With the car being a 96 I was surprised that they were just normal keys. I had a 96 Primera a few years ago. The key had a chip in it and the price was silly.

For £25 your Audi key will be of superior quality!!:p

H.

dunno about that mate.....looks crap and had to be taken back three times to the spotty oik who cut it as he didn't re-calibrate his machine so it wasn't cutting closely enough.

TW*T.

I was being slightly sarcastic. A key is a key and they don't cost much!! It's just manufacturers taking the piss!!

H.

Another thought; due to insurance requirements all supras will have at very least an immobilizer I believe ;) (In fact for imports isn't it a cat 1 thatcham approved jobby or they won't consider insuring you?).

Had my funky new TRD branded shiny key cut today, works fine :D

I will ask my brother to pick my ignition when I next visit him, he appears to be hooked on lock picking at the moment!

well id like to say noooooooooooooo :innocent:

but i own a sz so yes i do own a supra key :p

Ok, So you can see it is not a key like you find that is used to unlock doors in houses so I seriously doubt that someone will be able to 'pick' the lock in the traditional sense.

I actually do suspect that it is pickable ;) I will seriously be offering the lock up to my bro that has over the past few weeks really gotten into this kind of thing - he keeps trying to think of new challenges. I think he has picked about 8 different styles of locks (padlocks, double glazed door locks, chubb style, D-Locks) reproducibly with his shiny set of lock picks he purchased from the US :) I think there were some YouTube vids that inspired the purchase. I was quite shocked at what he was able to do in under 2 minutes to a supposedly secure newish double glazed multi claw locked door!