The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need some help on buying?

Guest deanweller

Guest deanweller

hey guys, seems like a great club you got going here!

obviously im new, i havent yet got a supra but i am planning to get one in about 6 months when my current insurance runs out. just starting to get some knowledge about them, basically:

Is there a buyers guide?

I've got a budget of around £10k give or take and i want a uk spec tt manual is that a realistic budget???

I'm not bothered about buying one with mods, tbh i'd prefer a standard one then i can do what i want to it, also not hugely bothered about colour, black is prefered but as long as its clean then i dont care,

any help is much appreciated and if any one has any pics of a model within my budget could you please post so i could have a look, many thanks dean!

Yeah 10K will see you a decent UK TT Manual I would have thought. They are hard to find though these days. So youll have a tough time finding one. Just be prepared to travel!

If you find a completely unmodified Uk manual, keep it that way as they are becoming really rare.

Best advice would be to look on autotrader frequently, however plenty of cars come up for sale through the club, here. Ive seen some amazing cars that have been up for sale on here in the last 6 months. And they have all been reasonably priced and obviously cherrished by members on here.

Guest deanweller

well i've read about the japanese turbos being ceramic and the uk spec being steel, therefore uk can have higher boost, also i saw something about the headlights, the jap ones are plastic and uk are glass, is that correct??

also production in the us stopped in 2002, and the newest ones i can find that are uk are 1996 ?????

10k is a realistic budget, but finding a uk manual isnt going to be easy, tbh I still can't see why people are looking for uk manuals, no offence to yourself but the majority look for this one car and imo it's a bit of a waste of time for the reason that if you've ever looked underneath a car that has been in the uk for a few years and compare it to one that has come fresh over from japan you'll be shocked, the conditon of the imports is so much better and with the jap cars you have so much choice, I honestly wouldnt recommened you limit yourself to a uk manual as there are probably under 200 in existance! about 4 years ago I myself were looking for the same, purely for insurance reasons, but the insurance market is much more competive now and you should only see a few hundred pounds different between a uk and import these days.

Plus the fact almost all the uk manuals you find will have near to double the mileage of an equivalanet import.

Basically what I'm trying to get across is that for 10k your money will go much much further on an import car :)

Is looking for a uk for insurance reasons for you? :)

Guest deanweller

im guessing that 20 bhp isnt really noticable though,

im only saying what i want to get myself a good budget, as i've usually seen uk more expensive than imports,

whats the srt of price of importing and all the checks and stuff, i know that most jap cars are not undersealed due to there weather, also with a uk spec i thought then there'd be some history rather than getting a japanese translater.

Any pics anyone??

Well importing wise if you want a fresh one then Jurgen on here is very good as are whifbitz, but obviosuly there a loads to choose from that are already in the country, check out the for sale section in this forum and http://www.pistonheads.com usually a few on there.

just so you know there are +'s for uk cars, such as the larger brakes,(optional and standard on post 97 imports) better fueling,larger injectors which means going bpu is cheaper as the supporting mods are already in place and generally more toys over the import depending which model you get, the GZ came fully loaded and of course the aerotop was availabe in japan, but most fit these upgraded uk parts to there j's over time.

I can certainly recommend Whifbitz http://www.whifbitz.co.uk as I bought a J-spec from Paul there and he is a really knowledgeable person and has been importing Supras for 7 years and really knows his stuff.

I haven't much experience with Uk models, but my j-spec is sooooo quick and personally i LOVE the whistle from turbo 1 which you do't get on Uk specs (as far as I know)

Also, to be fair for the price of a big brake upgrade I think it is better value for money going for a J-spec and upgrading the brakes rather than forking out extra money (and an awful lot of time) on finding a UK spec