The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mark @ Pheonix.

ADD

Just been talking to Mark @ pheonix about a couple of problems with the soop (loosing oil and water) and getting trhe car down to him to install a B/C, gauges etc...what a nice bloke, he seems to really know his stuff! does anybody know much about him? like his background regarding cars etc??

He was really concerned about certain things i was telling him regarding the current condition of the engine and things im hearing and basically said to me he wasnt gonna touch the car for modifying till he's sorted out the main problems. You dont get many mechanics that say that, they normally just want to get as much money out of you as possible.

Top bloke!

Mark is a genuine bloke.

I asked him to do a compression test on my engine, and his reply was

"I will do the test if you really want me to, but there is no need to do it unless you are having specific issues with the engine"

What a refreshing attitude///

imi

He's been in business a long while (used to do classics - e-types, etc), but has been working almost exclusively on Supra's for 2-3 years.

Him and Chris Wilson are the only people I completely trust to hand the keys over and ask them to do whatever needs doing

Prices are good too, if anything I've always been undercharged on the hourly rate.

No problem. I used the pickup service a couple of weeks back, it works out cheaper for me than having to take a half day off each time I go there (plus convenience!). It's an impressive truck the guys got, fully covered and drops the whole suspension till its only 10inchs off the floor :cool:

No problem. I used the pickup service a couple of weeks back, it works out cheaper for me than having to take a half day off each time I go there (plus convenience!). It's an impressive truck the guys got, fully covered and drops the whole suspension till its only 10inchs off the floor :cool:

do you mind me asking how much it was?

Just to add to this, I've known Mark about 3yrs I guess.

He is so genuine and a great bloke, years on and he still shows me the same respect you decribe as a new customer. He won't take the p*ss and has vast knowledge on these cars.

As far as I can remember from my many chats with him, he's City and Guilds qualified (not a 'hobby' mechanic) certs used to be on the wall to view. He did a long spell for a BMW dealer (mechanic) and worked his way up and ran the workshop.

Before he set up Phoenix he spent years working for an exotic car hire company as one of their mechanics working on all types of top end motors. This company eventually went bust and he decided to go it alone.

I've been over there the end of last summer and he had a newish Ferrari 360 Spider on the ramp and was fitting a new clutch yet he will respect your Supra as much, if not more than something that pricey.

Not just a really great guy but also got many years experience working on top end cars !!

Hope that helps.........

Paul

Before he set up Phoenix he spent years working for an exotic car hire company as one of their mechanics working on all types of top end motors.

The last time I was there he was talking about that, because I mentioned that last year I'd been tempted to pick up a Ferrari. He was telling me that once, a lady had hired one for her husband as a birthday surprise (think he said it was his 50th or something). Because it was a surprise, she collected the car - which had just had a new clutch fitted. As she pulled away she let the clutch out very very slowly with increasing revs. He said they had a call shortly afterwards - she'd burned the clutch out before even getting home!

PAUL/DAVEK- thanks for all you info on mark, it wasnt that i was being nosey about him i was just wondering what he had done etc to know all that he explained on the phone.

many thanks

Homer-that is so bloody cheap for a 4 hour round journey.

cheers all

Guest StevenSheen

Its in Watford, I have got my supra booked in there for monday, its being collected by his pickup guy as well...Im being charged £100.00 for collection which is excellent I think...thank god its out of TDI's hands....£700.00 for a Viscus fan that wasnt needed and done absolutley no good...and eventually told me it could be a head gasket or a heater matrix causing the car to over heat and that they would start on the HG and see if that was the cause....only bout 2k then if that dont work we can replace every other part on the car until we either find the problem or the entire car has been rebuilt.....thank god for Phonenix and the guys on here's advice!

The chap that previously owned my car used Phoenix/Chris Wilson all the time, and he gave them both a glowing recommendation. If I lived closer to Watford etc, I'd be using them too!

Well I'm down in the far reaches of Surrey and mine goes nowhere else but up to Phoenix for any work. Can't express how much it's worth the journey every time.

Im only going to re-say what everyone has but its so true. My car had been round most of the traders and garages that quoted on here and finally after 5 years I have finally found someone that cares for my car as much as I do. He said the same to me about getting back to basics before going even further and he has done more in a few weeks then most have managed over the years. Its just a shame he might be leaving the UK come the middle of the year, I might even have to consider driving to Oz........:(

Its in Watford, I have got my supra booked in there for monday, its being collected by his pickup guy as well...Im being charged £100.00 for collection which is excellent I think...thank god its out of TDI's hands....£700.00 for a Viscus fan that wasnt needed and done absolutley no good...and eventually told me it could be a head gasket or a heater matrix causing the car to over heat and that they would start on the HG and see if that was the cause....only bout 2k then if that dont work we can replace every other part on the car until we either find the problem or the entire car has been rebuilt.....thank god for Phonenix and the guys on here's advice!

He mentioned that your car was heading down there to be sorted.

Well I'm down in the far reaches of Surrey and mine goes nowhere else but up to Phoenix for any work. Can't express how much it's worth the journey every time.

That's practically on their doorstep! I live in Eastbourne, so it would be quite a trek to get there. I've got a good 'localish' garage for mine now anyway. Recommended from this site.