The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlights

egrossi

Hi All,

How ya doing. Hope you can help with my headlight beams, well, changed the standard ones to xenon ones. It did increase the beam slightly but nothing to shout about. Is there anything you guys could suggest that could improve them. Almost like my lights are not on when I'm on a dark road alone.

Regards

Milly.

Guest gzaerojon

they're not too bad, drivers side is a little dull, have you tried giving it a polish? i would definatly invest in some hid's though, i have them on mine and it's like daylight (almost ;))

Gzaerojon you could'nt tell me the cost of conversation to HIDs bud think thats the way I may need to go.

Thanks.

Before you will go for HID's - check if everything is allright with voltage and condition of light from close look. You should see standart lights properly and pretty bright at nightime.

I've been thinking of putting in something more enlightening too ;) As I'm new to mods on Supra's, erm..what exactly are HID's and how do they vary from standard bulbs? Also, i am assuming that fitment will vary weather UK/J Spec, TT or NA? :confused:

Thanks

Hi,

For more information on the background of what HID's actually are click here: High-intensity discharge lamp

The HID kits usually come with looms, ballasts, mounting brackets and lamps, and are as such not a straight bulb swap, but a little bit of extra work to fit (not terrible though by the looks of things).

I believe the bulb types for the dipped is either 9006 for UK fitment and 9005 for J-Spec. I am not sure what variations there are above and beyond that for facelift yada yada, but I am sure someone can advise more appropriately if you ask a specific question :)

I have a set of HID lamps sat aside awaiting my install when I get my finger out and stop doing work around the house ;)

Cheers,

Simon.

HIDs = High Intensity Discharge lamps - much, much brighter than normal, halogen bulbs and with a cooler, clearer colour - usually from 4300k upwards (though the lower ratings put out more light/less colour). They're the things you see on motorways etc. and seem to flash blue.

Yes, there's a difference between J-spec and UK bulbs (but not between N/A & TT) :)

I've been thinking of putting in something more enlightening too ;) As I'm new to mods on Supra's, erm..what exactly are HID's and how do they vary from standard bulbs? Also, i am assuming that fitment will vary weather UK/J Spec, TT or NA? :confused:

Thanks

Once you will decide to get one you need to look for 9005 ones (for your shiny J-Spec), then I can help you to install it (I think i can handle most of electric/electronic things). ;)

Guest gzaerojon
Gzaerojon you could'nt tell me the cost of conversation to HIDs bud think thats the way I may need to go.

Thanks.

Have a look HERE there was a group buy that ran on here using them and pretty good feedback afaik :)

Have a look HERE there was a group buy that ran on here using them and pretty good feedback afaik :)

Ah yes those are the kits that are sat on the floor waiting to be installed. They look pretty good quality from what I have seen so far, and it was the previous folks good experience with them that made me choose them. P.S. Jon mate, I will get around to lopping those frickin lights out of the car - this week, I'll lob them in a box off to you before the weekend (no rush though as she will be off the road for a while when I do it :)).

Guest gzaerojon
P.S. Jon mate, I will get around to lopping those frickin lights out of the car - this week, I'll lob them in a box off to you before the weekend (no rush though as she will be off the road for a while when I do it :)).

no worries :thumbs:

Once you will decide to get one you need to look for 9005 ones (for your shiny J-Spec), then I can help you to install it (I think i can handle most of electric/electronic things). ;)

Hi K

I have no excuse not to do it as I'm studying vehicle technology and enjoy getting my hands dirty! :D not got to electronics section yet, managed to avoid it so far :rolleyes: but will keep you posted. Paint job and front strut brace first though! :yummy: lol

L

Guest gzaerojon

HID's are easy enough to fit, basically the HID bulb fits in the headlight, the HID bulb plugs into the ballast box and the plug that used to plug into the old bulb plugs into the ballast box.

hardest part is mounting the box (as it were ;))

Hi K

I have no excuse not to do it as I'm studying vehicle technology and enjoy getting my hands dirty! :D not got to electronics section yet, managed to avoid it so far :rolleyes: but will keep you posted. Paint job and front strut brace first though! :yummy: lol

L

I said I can help you, not install it for you completely! :D Any excuse to learn pronunciation :innocent: