The mkiv Supra Owners Club

quarter mile

scottysupra

A friend I know ran a 13.4 stock but had a great launch, but tbh santa pod is gonna favour the evo off the line and I'd expect him to keep a few lengths ahead till the end of the 1/4.

My advice, do a nice burnout and really get those tyres sticky, not enough people do this and many others don't do it for long enough either.

Does anyone know the quarter mile time for a standard 6 speed manual jap spec TT? Its a 1994 so before vvti. Also do you think i would be anywhere near my mates standard mitsi evo 300 at santa pod?

I took my 1994 6 sp manual down the track when it was stock i got 13.7 @ 103 mph

My mate ran his stock Evo6 and got 13.7 @ 100mph.

he smashed me off the line with a 1.8 sec 0-60 foot where as i could manage a moddist 2.2 sec.

However, we had a rematch when i was running 1 decat, standard exhaust at 1.0 bar and he had a twin plate clutch fitted, new exhaust and mapped to 320 bhp. I remember it was a very humid scorching hot day, I got 13.4 @ 107 mph, he got 13.9 @ 98 mph....ooops. - he was not impressed and sold it shortly after that.

since then i've gone full bpu and got 12.8 @ 113 mph on a mild day.

Its impossible to beat the lighter 4 wheel drive car off the lights but you WILL catch him up and you WILL overtake him about 2 thirds of the way down the track i guarantee it.

have fun.

My way of launching was, 3000 revs, one hand on steering wheel, the other with the handbrake pulled up and holding button to realese, bring the clutch up to the biting point(the car squats) and then dip the clutch jsut below that point, pre-squatting, wait for lights, then release handbrake and clutch, I find this works well as your so close to the biting point that you cant really mess it up :)

My way of launching was, 3000 revs, one hand on steering wheel, the other with the handbrake pulled up and holding button to realese, bring the clutch up to the biting point(the car squats) and then dip the clutch jsut below that point, pre-squatting, wait for lights, then release handbrake and clutch, I find this works well as your so close to the biting point that you cant really mess it up :)

whats your best 0-60 foot reading just out of interest ?

that's the method i use and the best I've done is a 13.1

Hoping to drop into the 12's this year before I blow up the twin's and have to go single :)

I never got a 60ft time so can't say, i'll try to dig the slip out if I can though, I ran at northweald on a lotus club track day so it wasn't totally official :) time was a 14.1 on a wet day, so not too bad :)

Hello Tom BTW,

the only reason i asked was that my mate launches like that in his skyline but i have always bottled it when i got to the line and just launched as normal.

my best was 2.1something which going by monkeymarks table is not bad me thinks.

the last 2 times i went down the strip i got my best times and i let the clutch go a split second before the green light appeared so my reaction time was good too, whether this helpped with the overall time i have no idea. I couldn't have triggered the sensor before the green light as it would void my time ? - just thinking that may be doing the same sort of principle as holding the handbrake on to avoid the car moving forward but making sure you has the biting point there when the lights go green ?

i'm waffling now, may be the beers talking...best i shut up.

Excellent i cant wait to get down there now and hopefully wipe the smug grin off his face! Ive been to santa pod in my old renault 5 turbo but its going to be so much different launching a rear wheel drive car off the line should be fun though!

the key is to not over rev as you'll just end up spinning.

I personally only rev to between 2-3k revs and feed the clutch in smoothly. Nice quick gear changes at 6.5k revs, you should be crossing the line in high revs in 4th gear.

As mentioned before lower the rear tyre pressures to about 15 -20 psi and a little burn out before hand (right foot on brake with your heal on the accelerator, build up the revs and take your left foot off the clutch) does the trick - more to impress the crowd really ;)

a couple of my mates done the strip in their Renault fives a good few years back - mental little cars. I remember on the drive to get there, 100 mph felt like you're going warp speed ! - ever tried drinking from a cup whilst sitting in the back of one going down a bumpy road ??? - didn't think so, impossible !

that's the method i use and the best I've done is a 13.1

Hoping to drop into the 12's this year before I blow up the twin's and have to go single :)

Nice!! :cool:

Yep tbh I was under the impression what I was doing was I guess weird!lol, good to see other people with the same technique!

Steve! yep thats looks pretty good, I guess it's similar to powerbraking in autos, definately give it a go though!

The launch is the most important thing and can save 10ths down the other end so worth a few practice runs on the road :)

should be able to hit 13.6-13.8@ 103-105mph all day long with good launches, traction off and tyre pressures at about 25-26psi on a good day at pod or the like in my opinion.

evo would and should be about the same times but the terminal speed will be lower i'd say 100mph max he'll get you off the line untill about 80mph you should bare down on him and then beat him, but this is if you do everything right he'll always have the consistancy as he has all wheel drive and the only think he can really do wrong is 1, miss a gear or 2, break :D but there a good strong car so don't bank on number 2

In short it will be a great tight close race :) :cool: on the road you should always have the edge in straight line :cool: :) at ni on all speeds.

That's what i do untill you get to the point of grip and then that way you don't add drag for no reason from the tyre sag, thats what i'd do if it's rwyb and you have loads of runs if i'm at a main day and only have 3 runs i'll always set alot lower straight away at the risk of losing the chance of having/getting any good runs in.

Just do a little burn out i do the same not one of those huge smoke inducing ones either as i'm always thinking about the tyres at about £200 a piece :D :blink: :(

The stock time for a 1/4 in a manual is 12.9 believe it or not, although your not going to get that sort of time in santa pod this time of the year, when i went down there the track was more slippy than a big bag of slippy things!! But it was a rwyb last feb so no glue on the track and it was cold as fook. IMO you've got a better chance of getting a decent 1/4 at somewhere like totb, on a rough surfaced track if your running road tyres, as the pod surface is complely smooth and designed for drag tyres.

that 12.9 was obviously done by a pro in perfect conditions but its something for us to aim for :D I recon i can crack it now ive got a single :eyebrows: