The mkiv Supra Owners Club

revs drop..

Guest Phillw454

Guest Phillw454

hi, when i put the car in neutral, put the clutch down etc, sometimes the rev drop right down to the point it almost cuts out and sometimes does cut it. but sometimes its ok, any ideas?

I've experienced this in an auto but not a manual, when you start up from cold what sort of revs does it idle at on automatic choke? and then idle to once warm? as you may need to adjust your idle, what fuel are you using? and when were your plugs last changed? tbh if it were me I'd put some optimax in, reset the ecu and see if this helps, I would suggest taking a look at your plugs but they're a bitch to get to on an n/a so that would have been my 2nd option, from here your o2 sensor maybe stuffed and may need replacing or just a good clean, (I've been told removing and leaving it in a pot of lemon juice cleans it up well), imo it can only be your fuel/air mix thats iffy.

Guest Phillw454

WOW. lol iv got no idea about any of that!! im useless with engines il let my mate have a look thanks.

buts its run on super unleaded minimum and idles around 2000 cold then just under 1000when warm.

thanks, il have a look and see about the air fuel reg:)

ok, well the revs at cold and warm idle sound ok, n/a's to have a tendency to rev high when cold, thats no matter though as they sound great :D but the o2 sensor, and I think there are two of them are both screwed into the exhaust manifold, pretty sure it's a 17mm to remove, if it is an o2 sensor then Nic (import pimp) can get you these but they aint cheap! but as said above things to check

Plugs

ICV (idle control valve)

Reset ECU

O2 sensor

and maybe your air flow sensor could do with a clean?

but I'm sure your mate can help you out :) I'm no expert so hopefully someone else will come along and either confirm or oblitorate what I just said!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Phillw454

no, was going to but then it seemed alright for a few weeks and recently its started again:search:

Think if you push it too hard when its cold it drops the revs, but if it does cut out or you turn it off then on again it seems fine:search:

It only does it sometimes so not going to try for hours on it, if it gets any worse il drop it down toyota and get them to fix it and post up what it was!