The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra doesn't like SatNav :( any ideas the problem?

KaoriFan

hi de hi,

had SatNav fitted to the Supra the about a week ago, Kenwood flip out system. was parked on the seafront the other day, with the engine running, but handbrake on, so car was stationary.

strange thing was, the small red arrow symbol denoting the car kept on moving and ended up about a mile away and there were no roads around, it was on the beach.

anyone have any ideas what can be causing this.

the other thing, after it had been fitted, i went to start the car and the battery was flat. for some reason the screen unit comes out and wonder if there is a live connection to the battery, even when ignition is off.

cheers in advance,

Ian

It kind of sounds like it's broken.

One possibility - although it's not quite the same - a guy on the 964 forum bought an Origin B2 camera detector a few years back and had massive problems with it. He got a replacement under warranty and still had the same problems. After much messing about, Origin told him that it "wasn't compatible with the 964". Something in the car just seemed to stop it working properly - perhaps you are having a similar problem.

Could be a dodgy arial built into it so it's not receiving a strong enough signal. Some modern sat-navs try to predict where you are if it loses signal..... so if you're going along at 50mph into a tunnel it'll lose reception but still show you as travelling at 50mph along the same road - even if you've stopped in the middle of the tunnel.

Some modern sat-navs try to predict where you are if it loses signal.....

Aye, if I make a turning off the route, the arrow carries on along it's merry little way for about 10 seconds until it changes to where I am and recalculates itself, I've been able to drive in completely the opposite way before it's noticed...

Where abouts is the ariel for the unit. Does sound a lot like it could be the unit loosing signal, this could be due to a number of reasons.. If it has an internal ariel, it could be that its not getting enough signal through all the dash and that. If thats the case maybe it has a input for an external ariel? (like the tom tom units do)

Like the other have said, the sat nav will carry on when they loose signal, until they relaise you are actually stopped, or you start to move again.

Sounds very like a dodgy signal to me. Where is the units aerial?

With the crappy cloud cover we've had lately there's a lot of signal loss which becomes very apparent with an iffy install.

My GPS aerial is on the rear wheel arch in the boot - perfect signal all the time.

It kind of sounds like it's broken.

One possibility - although it's not quite the same - a guy on the 964 forum bought an Origin B2 camera detector a few years back and had massive problems with it. He got a replacement under warranty and still had the same problems. After much messing about, Origin told him that it "wasn't compatible with the 964". Something in the car just seemed to stop it working properly - perhaps you are having a similar problem.

I had similar problems with The Origin Blue I (the previous one) met the stuck up twats that ran the company in Fulham and they were rude and unhelpful, I battled to get my money back they said same thing eventually it has issues with Toyota Supras lol...i then managed to steer a few customers away whilst visiting their stand at the Motor Show lol..told em it was shit lol.

I then bought a Snooper worked fine lol.

Matt Harwood is best person to ask on here maybe drop him a pm or could visit him hes v resonable and knows his stuff and Supras.

I had issues with Bluetooth in my Supra no headset i bought would work once i was above 30mph it would sound like i was in a fishtank...car electronics are strange things..its frustrating...sounds like the gryroscope sensor is not working right (Matt Harwood has all the answers);)

hi guys,

thanks for all the input, gonna read through this and see if some of this holds true.

this SatNav had been installed in a Supra by the previous owner and had been working fine. so i guess it is the installation.

thing i am really worried about, is the battery drain and if the SatNav is draining the battery when the car is not in use. Never had a duff battery in 14 months of ownership, but week after satnav, it dies on me. when you turn ignition off to the idle position, the satnav head unit pops out 3 or 4 times.

cheers once again